Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Need Help Setting up a wirelss router, have problems and am not tech savvy

phs1414

Need Help Setting up a wirelss router, have problems and am not tech savvy

I had signed up for Comcast Business class because it was the only way to get Comcast internet to my house.  It is a new street and Frontier(awful) was the only provider I was able to get and Comcast would not run for their normal service.  So with the new Modem(SMC3DG) I am having problems setting up a wireless router to it.  I just need it for wifi, for a Playstation 3, a laptop, and then cell phones.  I called Comcast for help and the first guy said they do not help with setting up networks.  I looked around on the internet and am now more confused than ever.  I called Comcast again and this time he said all I needed to do was have my wireless router(Netgear WNR 2000) plugged in to the back for the SMC3DG.  I had already done this and it worked for about 20 minutes.  Then I lost internet connection to my PC only.  My XBOX is hardwired in to the SMC3DG and still worked, wifi still worked, just not my pc.  I unplugged the ethernet cable coming from the Netgear router and my PC worked again.  Plugged it back in to the SMC3DG, everything worked for about 20 minutes or so, then my PC only lost connectivity.  XBOX still worked, etc.  So I dont know what to do to have everything work like I want it to.  Basically I need wifi in my house, which the SMC3DG does not have and am absolutely clueless about what to do.  I feel more clueless after reading the forums about port forwarding and disabling DCHP on one and enabling it on the other, etc.  The guy from Comcast said it should work the way I have it set up, and it does, but then I lose the connectivity to my PC.  Please, please help.  I spent three hours trying to figure this out yesterday and over an hour today and feel like I have gotten nowhere and don't know where else to turn. 

phs1414

Re: Need Help Setting up a wirelss router, have problems and am not tech savvy

I forgot to add I do not have any static IPs, just dynamic.  Don't know if that matters. 

Trusted Forum Contributor

Re: Need Help Setting up a wirelss router, have problems and am not tech savvy

If you have a newer router you could log into the router and set it up as a wireless access point only (Most do have this as a feature).

This may lessen the amount of configuration to have to troubleshoot.

There are so many different ways these two units in question can be configured that its near impossible to "Begin Helping".

Id suggest resetting the Wireless Router to factory, log into it and set it into WAP mode and then test.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation