Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Is it possible to Use 2 modems?

SOLVED
Robin339
New Contributor

Is it possible to Use 2 modems?

Is it possible to use 2 modems/gateway with Comcast business services?

Re: Is it possible to Use 2 modems?

Robin339-

To use 2 business modems/gateways that would result in 2 different accounts/charges. Are you referring to using 2 modems with 1 connection, or 2 modems at same location but a different area?

Robin339
New Contributor

Larry,

Thanks for the reply.

I have 5 statics.

See, what I am trying to accomplish is use my Motorola SB 6121 for my PCs, and TVs, because using the SMC and my own router is causing issues (NAT).

So, I wanted to see if I could use the SMC with the statics for my servers (since we are having issues loading the static on the SB6121), and the SB6121 to use one static/dynamic for the rest of the network.

Thanks

Robin339-

For this scenario if you wanted to use two gateways/modems that would entail 2 different accounts/billing. But to answer your question you could use your first internet connection gateway (SMC) with the Static IP's (5) for your network portion and then use your second stand alone modem with DHCP (SB 6121) for your TV's, PC's (with router). Hope this answers your question.

Also, you stated using the SMC and your router is causing issue such as double NAT. With one of the static assign to your router we can place the SMC into bridge mode for you. I wasn't sure if you tried that option.

Robin339
New Contributor

Thank you again Larry. I have tried assigning one of the static to my router, and it works fine. But the problem comes in when I try to use another static on an end device that is connected to the router.

Could you please look at the following screencap, and maybe tell me how to statically route 50.50.50.1/29 to the internal router and still be able to connect my servers as shown. ThanksScreenHunter_10 Feb. 18 14.39.jpg

Robin339
New Contributor

I have tried this, but to no avail. Thank for taking the time out to help me.

ScreenHunter_11 Feb. 18 14.46.jpg

Robin339-

Comcast_john will be contacting you shortly to help with this matter.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation