Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
Gil

Is Public DHCP address available with Bridge Mode?

I have a question about Bridge Mode on a Comcast SMC Business Gateway.  I am setting up a new business site with a Comcast Business Internet service in Georgia.  The company uses Cisco routers to create a site to site VPN.  This location is the remote office and therefore does NOT need a static public IP address.  DHCP is fine as the remote site always initiates the VPN connection.

The Cisco router is connected to the LAN side of the SMC gateway.  The Cisco router is expecting a public IP address via DHCP.

We have contacted Comcast Tech Support and requested the gateway be configured for Bridge Mode so the Cisco router will receive the public address.

Tech Support told us they made the change but the SMC gateway is still giving out 10.1.x.x IP addresses.

When we called back to Tech Support, they told us Bridge Mode is ONLY available with Static IP and suggested that we order a static IP address.

This does not make sense to me as I can get a public IP address via DHCP on my residential Comcast service.

Can you please let me know if we can get a public IP address via DHCP for the business account?

Using a static IP address is a waste for 2 reasons: 1) we don't need it and therefore should not deplete the pool and 2) we are paying money for a feature that we do not need.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is Public DHCP address available with Bridge Mode?

Hello Gil,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the post.

We do apologize for the confusion with your request for setting our IP-Gateway to Bridge Mode.

If properly set, our IPG will pass only the WAN IP to your router and static IP is not needed.

If you want I can set the IPG to bridge mode for you.

(Please send me your account information via PM, with your account number, phone number, and business hours of operation)

Thank You

Regal

I was told the same thing - that I MUST purchase a static IP address.  How can I set the gateway to bridge mode without buying a static IP - I have no need for a static IP but believe I must be in bridge mode to port foward my security camera.

thanks

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome Regal.  You can create port forwarding rules on the Comcast gateway under the Firewall>>Port Configuration tabs, for any device directly connected to the Gateway.  The device IP must be part of the gateway LAN subnet.  

If the gateway is in bridge mode the port forwarding rules will be set in your router.  A static IP is not necessary for this particular set-up.  If you need assistance with the set-up in the gateway, send me or any Comcast admin a private message and we can assist.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Regal

I tried to send PM to Comcast_John@comcastbiz.net and I also tried Comcast_John but neither address is valid

Sorry - I couldn't find where on the forum to find your email address.  Mine is tomreeves623@gmail.com

I understand you'll want to remove this post

0 Kudos
rdfry
Visitor

I am having nearly the same issue; I had a modem and purchased a new router with USB FTP port internal. When I tried to access it the on the LAN it worked, but would not work from a remote location, I got a dynamic DNC and it still would not work. So I called tech support I was told I needed a new MODEM (Ubee from Comcast) I swapped it out at local service center. It still did not work so I called Tech support again and was told I need to get a Router/Gateway and put it in Bridging mode. A tech was sent and installed the Netgear Gateway.  I was given instructions to follow by the second tech on how to setup bridging mode, after preforming the steps I lost connection to the Netgear Gateway (Comcast’s). I connected directly to the gateway and reversed the settings, I now have internet but have the same issue no access to my FPT on port 21. I do not have a static IP address but will be using a dynamic DNS.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

HI rdfry.  Remote access to the Comcast gateway is not available.  However remote access to directly connected devices can be enable via port forwarding on the firewall tab.  Also the gateway can be bridged by our Tier 2 agents, this enables access to your router via the public dynamic IP address.

Thank You

0 Kudos