Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Getting IP Settings for Remote Camera

SOLVED
Highlighted
johnbigbootie

Getting IP Settings for Remote Camera

I have a business class SMC D3G-BIZ cable modem. Directly connected to it I have survelliance camera. I need help getting the correct IP settings so I can access it remotely. I previously was able to do this but the cable modem was recently replaced.

The camera software needs a IP Address, subnet mask, and default gateay information. I do not currently have a static IP Address.

In the camera IP address should I put in the public IP Address of the cable modem or should I create a static IP Address that is on the LAN. such as 10.*.*.*?

How can I determine the subnet mask? Do I go to Gateway > Network within the cablem modem menu?

The default gateway should be same as the default gateway for the LAN settings in Gateway > Network, right?

The camera software is using port 80 and 6036. 

Thank you for looking any you help.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Getting IP Settings for Remote Camera

johnbigbootie.  In the configuration described in the post, yes it is necessary to assign an IP address from the LAN pool, (10.X.X.X) the default gateway is the LAN IP of the gateway.  To access the cameras remotely you will need to create port forwarding rules on the firewall pointing to IP that you assigned to the Camera system.  Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Forum Contributor

Re: Getting IP Settings for Remote Camera

Let me make a recommendaiton here.

Most of those security cameras support UpNp

You may be able to save yourself a huge amount of trouble if you try the following:

login to the smc and turn off the firewalling. that is, go to the firewall tab and check everything - this

turns off all the smart packet detection and the other garbage.

Set the camera into obtain automatic IP addressing

set the camera into UpNp mode

The camera will obtain a 10.0.x.x number from the modem then issue a UpNp command to the modem that will setup all of the necessary port forwards.  Than as a last touch those cameras will usually login to a dynamic DNS server provider and set themselves up.  (you may have to login to the provider and enter a username password and so on to set up the account)

This is a much more bullet proof way of doing it because usually these settings are the camera default settings so if the camera gets reset it will just reconfigure everything again.

Don't overthink this.  These cameras are designed for non-techs to setup.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation