Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
JAStewart
Visitor

Gateway - Bridging - New Docsis3

Good afternoon, Gents (and ladies?),

I had sent some PM in the regular comcast forum about bridging the commercial gateway so it does a passthrough of the WAN IP to my router. The router I use has many more useful features within the firmware (including wireless) that the SMC8014 I currently have does not do. (I'm currently stuck in a double NAT).

While waiting on responses I've been doing more searching on this subject and know that the Docsis 3 upgrades have been completed in my area. Is there a new Doc3 gateway available to replace this older unit?

My drop was split to two devices: the SMC 8014 for data and the second to the Arris 4 line phone adapter. I've read about a newer unit more like the residential side.

What are my options? Primarily... I need the WAN IP passthrough.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Gateway - Bridging - New Docsis3

Thank you for your post.   

Yes, the SMCD3 is the replacement for the SMC8014,  The SMCD3 is available in markets that have completed the infrastructure upgrades necessary for DOCIS 3.  

Since you stated that you primary need is for a bridged device, the SMC8014 that you currently have in place can be placed in bridged/pass thru mode.  The SMCD3 can also be placed in bridged/pass thru mode. You can also schedule a service call to replace the SMC8014 if required. 

Thank you

Highlighted
JAStewart
Visitor

John, thanks again for your help. Speeds are much better too!

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/137757242.png

0 Kudos
mikeb8806

Hey Jon,

Jeff had mentioned contacting you as we are having the same problem with our modem where we need it placed into bridged/pass thru mode as well.  I was wondering if you could help.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello and welcome Mike,

Let me take a look at this for you.

Please send me a PM with your account information to assist.

Thank You

0 Kudos
msimmons

I'd like to bridge my SMC8014 with my current router, can you post the steps to how you did this?

0 Kudos