Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Erasing old IPs from Gateway?

SOLVED
Jmxtbfj

Erasing old IPs from Gateway?

Our back room computers connect to the gateway in 2 ways: 

1) a router plugged into a wall jack 

2) directly into a wall jack

We had a computer at work that connected perfectly fine to the internet via a wall jack. It had access to our server and our network printer. This computer has unfortunately had to be replaced. The new computer, when connected to the exact same jack with the exact same cat5 cable, will not connect to the internet. It gives me a DNS server error. When I connect it to the router, I get internet access just fine. The issue is that when I connect to the router, I can't access the printer or the server because they're not on the same network. I need to get internet connectivity through the wall jack. 

Setting a static IP doesn't work. I think the problem is I've "used" all the IPs provided by the gateway so it's not generating a new IP for the new computer. The problem is there are IPs on the Connected Devices list that have no computers attached to them. We have 2 computers connected directly to wall jacks, and there are 5 or 6 used IPs. 

Is there a way to "flush" the IPs that are no longer being used so that when I plug the new computer into the wall jack it will generate a new IP for the new computer or a way to reuse an IP so I can connect to the server and printer? 

Thanks in advance!

Trusted Forum Contributor

Re: Erasing old IPs from Gateway?

Hi, have you tried simply power cycling the router?
Trusted Forum Contributor

Hello Jmxtbfj,

You might want to try depressing the Comcast gateway little black reset switch on the back for 15 seconds and this will restore your gateway's configuration to factory default. This means your gateway static IP configurations will be evaporated and you will be in intrinsic DHCP operation mode. 

Jmxtbfj

Thank you! I reset the Gateway with all of the computer unplugged, and plugged the cables back in one at a time. Worked like a charm. 

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation