Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
mrbill

Equipment compatible with static IPs?

Are the SMC D3GCCR and the Netgear CG3000DCR the only modems / gateways compatible with Business Class static IP service?

I've had the SMC going on around three years now, and it's mostly been okay, "it just works", with the occasional reboot about once a month or so - but I've never been a fan of SMC networking gear.  I also don't like that I can't hit it with SNMP to do my own bandwidth usage graphs.

I saw that the Moto SB6141 is now on the approved list for Business service as of last month; my question is, can it handle the routed subnet (or act as a bridge) for the static IPs?  I wouldn't mind buying my own modem at all, if I can get rid of the SMC and have equivalent functionality with something better.

I just talked to someone in customer support who said he *thinks* the SB6141 would work, but he didn't know for sure.  He said the Netgear is what's being given to customers right now.  I've also seen threads that say the Netgear is horrible and has problems....

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Equipment compatible with static IPs?

Welcome mrbill. At this time the SMCD3G & Netgear CG3000DCR art the only gateway/routers utilized by Comcast for Business Static IP's.  The Motorola SB6141 is not compatible with fixed Static IP routing on the Comcast Network.  

Thank You

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ManChicken
Visitor

So let me get this straight..

If you have a static IP you can only use the SMC modem, which doesn't do IPv6, or the Netgear, which by my reading is a POS that doesn't work right and everyone is trying to get rid of.

Is that really it?

0 Kudos
Trusted Forum Contributor

@ManChicken wrote:

So let me get this straight..

If you have a static IP you can only use the SMC modem, which doesn't do IPv6, or the Netgear, which by my reading is a POS that doesn't work right and everyone is trying to get rid of.

Is that really it?

bluntly, yes. I think i've read references to a Cisco modem coming down the pike, but who knows.

EDIT and actually, Comcast isn't giving out static IPv6 addresses at the moment anyways.

0 Kudos