Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
garges
Visitor

Comcast provided SMC 8014 incompatible with phone.com Cisco SPA122?

I'm trying to get VOIP service from phone.com set up on my Comcast Business class internet service. I have an SMC 8014 cable modem/router from Comcast and a Cisco SPA 122 analog telephone adaptor from phone.com

Outgoing calls work fine. But incoming calls never ring the phone and instead go directly to voicemail. 

Tech support from phone.com said I needed to put the CIsco ATA into the DMZ and I did that but it still does not work. They then said the SMC must be incompatible and will have to be replaced with a separate cable modem and router. 

Does this sound right? Is there anything in the SMC that would block incoming traffic through the DMZ to the ATA? Has anybody gotten this or a similar setup to work? Or if not, what are my options for trading the SMC 8014 for a different device?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Aristo
Occasional Visitor

Re: Comcast provided SMC 8014 incompatible with phone.com Cisco SPA122?

Garges, just a couple of things. First Comcast has their own phone network, so they are not likely to provide technical advice on how to cheat themselves out of money.

Second you can try to have the SMC put in bridge mode.  This will pass the network IP directly to your VoIP device.  Most likely the return path for the phone call is getting to the SMC however the NAT' ing in the router is causing the problem.  Well not exactly a problem from the Comcast point of view as the SMC is not a VoIP device and VoIP service is not a supported application on their data network.

Your best bet is to purchase a static IP and assign it to the Cisco ATA, this will definitely solve the problem and you will not have to deal with any finger pointing from phone.com and the ISP. 

0 Kudos
garges
Visitor

Re: Comcast provided SMC 8014 incompatible with phone.com Cisco SPA122?

Got it working. A different phone.com tech investigated, found, and fixed a problem upstream. Had nothing to do with the SMC at all. 

0 Kudos