Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
Glenn_Garvey
Visitor

Comcast SMCD3G and Ring Central

At my business we are experiencing phone problems with Ring Central.  We have static ip's, and a Netgear WNDR3700 router behind it with a static IP.  When I ran QOS test around 4:30, showed high jitter and packet loss over 10%.  Sorry I did not write down the numbers, but we ran the test several times.  Now at 6, just reran and jitter at 74.5, packet loss at 2.3.  Anyway, we are having dropped calls and poor sound quality.  Spent over an hour on the phone with Ring Central support, and they recommend changing routers, but when I brought up the Comcast modem/router, they thought that could be the issue.  Could this be a conflict between the SMCD3G and my netgear router.  I thought that with a static ip address at the router, everything to that ip address would pass straight through the SMCD3G.  On our netrear router we do have to setup QOS rules, would that also be required on the SMCD3G?  Sorry, not a real hi tech guy, but can usually work my way through this stuff.

Thanks for the help

Well, since no responses I will tell you what I did, not sure if it fixed the problem, but have run a qos test about a dozen times through the day and it has always come up all green, which would not happen in the past.

I followed another posts suggestion of turning off DHCP in the Comcast Gateway, even though it was assigning under a different range of ip's versus my netgear router, it might have been a conflict for the voip.  I will update if the problem reoccurs.

2 REPLIES 2
jsiepka

Re: Comcast SMCD3G and Ring Central

Thank you for posting your solution.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Comcast SMCD3G and Ring Central

Hello Glenn_Garvey, thank you for sharing your insight and experience to the Comcast business support community, much appreciated.

0 Kudos