Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Closing Port 23

SOLVED
Ronbor1017
Visitor

Closing Port 23

We use an iPad and an internet based POS system for our restaurant.  Because we accept credit cards we are subject to something called PCI compliance audits every 90 days.  Part of the audit requires a port scan of our IP address from an external site for potential vulnerability. 

We have failed our first audit because Port 23 (telnet) is open on our SMCD3GN modem.  Believe me, I've RTFM and I'm not a complete Luddite but I'm not able to figure out how to close this port.  I'm being fined daily for failing the audit so any help you can give ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Closing Port 23

Welcome Ronbor1017.  Access to Telnet Port 23 via your IP address has been restricted.  Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

Thank YOu

Ronbor1017
Visitor

Thank you John.  I have passed on the info to the PCI compliance company and they say it can take up to 24 hrs for a re-scan. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

Ronbor1017
Visitor

Unfortunately  that didn't seem to work.  Another scan was done and we FAILED again.  I also went to Shields Up!! and tested myself.  The results of that scan shows Port 23 is still open (see image below).  I can send you the written report if you give me an email address.

As I mentioned, this is costing us money every day so your prompt assistance is appreciated.  Thank you.

Port Scan.jpg

Community Manager
Community Manager

Ronbor1017.  I have passed your data back to our Tier 2 group.   Please send me a PM with you contact info and I will have a Tier 2 agent work directly with you.

Thank you

Ronbor1017
Visitor

Hi John.  Not sure with Tier 2 did (because they did it without intervention from me) but they solved the problem.  I just got the word that the most recent scan PASSED.  Thank you for closing Port 23.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation