Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Changed LAN IP and can't access gateway

JeffreyJ
Visitor

Changed LAN IP and can't access gateway

I am working on a client's network and removing an existing firewall.

I want to setup their Comcast Business Gateway as a basic firewall.  However, when I change the LAN IP, the device is unreachable through a browser at that IP.  Is there something "hard coded" here?  It seems strange that the option to change an IP address would be there if it didn't actually work.

I also tried this with a few other gateways that are laying around here - same thing.  Change IP, try to pull it up at that IP, no luck.  Change it back to 10.1.10.1, and it pulls up just fine.

My story is similar to this thread:

http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Modems-Gateways/Changed-LAN-IP-and-can-t-access-...

As you can see, the solution isn't posted...and judging from some research - this seems to be a common issue.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Changed LAN IP and can't access gateway

Welcome JefferyJ.  The LAN IP has been reset to the default of 10.1.10.1.  There is no hard code that restricts access to the the 10.1.10.1.  Our Tier 2 agent tested a SMC device by here and was able to access it.  He changed it to 192.168.1.12, applied the setting change, closed the browser, re-opened the browser and was able to login.

Thank You

JeffreyJ
Visitor

Re: Changed LAN IP and can't access gateway

John,  I can change it back to 10.1.10.1 myself and log back in.  The problem lies in not being able to access it after the changes are made.  I have tried many default lan IP's (192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.254, 172.31.x.x, etc), none provide access.

I'm happy your Tier II was able to acess their SMC box.  I cannot.  As of right now, I am trying this on 192.168.1.254.  No luck.

I know how it's supposed to work.  It doesn't work that way.  That's why I started this thread.

Any thoughts on their configuration causing the LAN IP issue?  They have statics in Comcast's "pseudo" bridge mode with everything turned off currently...........

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation