Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

CG3000DCR - not working with VOIP phone

SOLVED
simon06877

CG3000DCR - not working with VOIP phone

We are a new customer, and have a CG3000DCR modem. For our VOIP phones to work we must configure the modem to "Disable SIP ALG", I can not find this option on the modem.

Does anyone have VOIP phones working with this modem? 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: CG3000DCR - not working with VOIP phone

Welcome simon06877. I apologize for the delay in responding to your post.  Our Network Engineering Team informed us that  our business gateways are not designed to support this functionality. 

Thank You

simon06877

Hi,

If this feature is supported, where is the configuration option - it is not listed in the panel. Having features that are not part of a "normal" customer configuration process and probably require set up by the ISP is not helpful.

I resolved the issue by moving the gateway to bridge mode and installing my own router - which is not satisfactory becuase I am now renting an expensive router as well as running my own. It defeats the purpose of the Comcast Business service.

Simon

Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome simon06877.  Comcast does not support VOIP services on the business gateways, (Netgear & SMC). Comcast does provide separate solutions for voice customers.  Additional information can be found here.

Thank You

plan

Any resolution.  I am going through this also.  VOiP was working with old modem for several years.  Moved office to my home recently.  Received new CG3000DCR modem 2 days ago.  Now VOIP / internet connections keep dropping.  Been working with tech support for over 7 hours in 2 days!! Two techs to the house.  Comcast keeps putting the blame on VOIP services.  Reading forums, I realize Comcast is dancing around the issue obviously not having a fix except to sign with them for VOIP.  Please let me know if there are any resolutions to fix this issue.

simon06877

My resolution (and that of others) was to move the modem to bridge mode and put my own router in place. From the earlier responses from Comcast - technically it is possible but Comcast wont allow it. So you have 2 choices - bypass the Comcast Router or use the Comcast SIP service. IMHO this is malfeasance from Comcast - disabling features to force you to buy additional services from them rather than standards based competitive solutions.

WJMalan

If I understand this thread correctly - and I hope I am wrong - Comcast sells business internet services, and then prevents VOIP from functioning property to "encourage" businesses to purchase comcast phone services.

I went from comcast residential internet service to comcast commercial to get a static IP and to run VOIP for my small home office.

How does one "log into" the CG3000DCR to look at the configuration options. 

Thanks.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome WJMalan.  Access to the gateway is via the LAN side IP with a directly connected computer. 

Open a browser, input the LAN IP (the default is 10.1.10.1) you will receive the login screen, use the default username/password

cusadmin/highspeed.

Thank You

davidintheusa

It took a week of lost business income before figuring this out:

The Netgear CG3000DCR modem is NOT compatible with VOIP services. I finally got this response from Netgear technical support in writing.

You need to get Comcast to change out your modem for another model. We have been given the SMC Networks SMCD3G-CCR modem installed this afternoon. It appears to allow us to use out VOIP system as intended - we have a 3rd party VOIP provider.

You are NOT able to disable SIP ALG on your modem because COMCAST HAVE REPLACED THE USER MANAGEMENT CONSOLE WITH THEIR OWN WHICH WILL NOT ALLOW YOU DO DO SO. I only figured this out when I called tech support again and noticed that the management console for both the Netgear modem and SMC Networks modem were identical.

Comcast are aware of the VOIP issues with the Netgear modem, confirmed by Comcast tech support and Netgear tech support. They have however chosen to do nothing about it at this stage and operate on a case-by-case basis forcing the customer to experience several levels of frustration and time wasting.

"A marvelous strategy on how to endear yourself to your customer."

jimw123

How do you place the CG3000DCR in bridge mode?

Highlighted
vinod

We had a similar issue while using NETGEAR CG3000DCR and requested COMCAST to replace it and they did that. They got us SMC router (SMCD3G-CCR) which worked seamlessly.

Thanks Comcast!

GeoFR

I find all this very interesting, we're experiencing voice issues with our new 3rd party VOIP service. I literally just got off the phone with Tier 2 support, they DID disable the SIP ADG protol on our CG3000DCR modem stating this can cause issues with VOIP service.  We'll see if it helps over the next couple days.  Strange that they can do it for me but others are being told you can't...... hmmmmmm

rvance

They did this for me and it didn't solve the problem. At least it is something they seem to know about now.

inoffice

This is what monopoly looks like.

You pay a premium montly bill to get forced to buy more services.

How in their right mind is this OK? We purchased a biz class to run a business!!

Wait until comcast swallows the other companies and see your bill going up and your choices for competition gone.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 10 in conversation