Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
daz10000
New Contributor

CG3000DCR blocking outbound port 80 traffic

I've been having continuous, stochastic problems with the CG3000DCR with little to no help from Comcast which is likely going to result in us moving to another ISP.     I will try to keep this free of expletives but that router is a real piece of work.   We are seeing frequent issues where devices connected to the LAN can perform DNS,  ping remote sites and browse to other devices on the LAN but not reach any external web site.  Traffic on port 80 returns 0 byte responses.   It is specific to outgoing connections (internal sites are reachable), and it is specific to the particular machine.  E.g. laptop A can not surf to google but laptop B can at the same time.  You would suspect laptop A but it can reach internal sites and if you disconnect and reconnect sufficient times from the wireless connection you will find laptop B can now no longer reach outside sites, but laptop A can.   The link layer is fine,  ping traffic gets out.  I can have incoming connections to internal servers working just fine, but specific devices on the network have their web traffic (but not other traffic types) blocked.   It looks to me as though the modem is filtering web traffic selectively for particular devices on the LAN.   Another symptom is that frequently the modem itself will not respond (from any device) to attempts to log in on the 10.1.10.1 web interface,  so it's impossible to troubleshoot.  And to be clear, at any given time many to most devices can get to external web sites, so it's not a problem with the link itself or bandwidth or DNS.  It's maddening and unfortunately badly affecting our ability to run a business using comcast.    I'm completely underwhelmed by the response to the obvious problems with that modem and looking at alternative providers.  I should add that the 30 Mbit connection is mostly sub 3 megabits during the evening due to congestion making me wonder why I'm paying for a faster connection while trying to use it for work at night.  Really really frustrated

Darren

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
daz10000
New Contributor

Re: CG3000DCR blocking outbound port 80 traffic

** sounds of crickets chirping while customer quietly contemplates state of competition in the SF broadband market **

0 Kudos
Highlighted
daz10000
New Contributor

Re: CG3000DCR blocking outbound port 80 traffic

We have continued to have problems with the CG3000DCR.   Whenever a device switches between access points on our LAN,  it has all its web traffic blocked.  I've watched packet traffic on the netgear NAT just inside our network and the traces report large numbers of corrupted packets coming from the CG3000DCR.   I have a long list of really upset customers whose devices randomly fail.   In every instance the affected device can 1) interact with all LAN devices including our NAT successfully  2) perform DNS and ping remote web sites  3) cannot retrieve http or https traffic from the web or 4) get a response from the comcast CG3000DCR device.    This device is crippling our ability to operate and I've had zero response from comcast.  This is what gives you guys such a bad reputation.   I want this POS router replaced with something that works.

0 Kudos