Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
Highlighted
egwillim

Business Gateway as just a modem

I am looking to setup my Business Gateway (SMCD3G-CCR) so it is just a cable modem. It will then pass everything through to my router (Netgear WNDR3700) and I can handle all the port forwarding and everything else there. Right now if I need to forward any ports I have to do it on the Gateway and on the router, but I would like to handle it in one place.

Right now in the DMZ options on the Gateway I have enabled DMZ host and entered the DMZ host as the IP address of my router. That looks to work, but I wanted to check if that workaround is the only way to do it or if there is another way.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Business Gateway as just a modem

Hello egwillim,

Welcome to the forum.

What you are requesting is called "bridge mode" on an IP-Gateway.

It is a setting that is done at the software level and it is not a solution I recommend.

Reasons being that if the IPGW has to be factory reset or need to replace the bridge setting will null.

I recommend one of these two solutions for you:

1. Contact Comcast Sales and request for a standalone modem (true bridge device).

- This will pass WAN IP to your net gear router.

2. Contact Sales and order static WAN-IP address, which the routable WAN can be assign to your router.

Thank You

0 Kudos
egwillim

Thanks for info. Out of curiosity is there any benefit to having the IP-Gateway instead of just a modem? Besides getting the built-in switch with the 4 gig ports. Also am I able to purchase my own modem, have them provision that and then return the IP-Gateway? I thought I had read that support didn't want customers using their own modem. If I did purchase one it would be this one http://amzn.to/OtLQER in case it matters.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poehler. By placing the Gateway in bridge mode all router functions are disabled.  It becomes in effect a stand alone modem. Business customers can  provide their own modem, Motorola is on the accepted equipment list, Static IP's are not available and remote testing is not available.  We can however determine if the modem is online.  

0 Kudos