Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Bridge mode and IPv6

SOLVED
BMike
Visitor

Bridge mode and IPv6

My first question is if I can have my SMCD3G put into bridge mode. Also, if sometime in the future, can it be switched back if necessary? I don't think you can view the power levels in such in that mode

My second question is how can I get IPv6 enabled? I see that there are options for it in the gateway's settings. I looked around, and is this: http://www.comcast6.net/index.php/commercial-broadband-ipv6-form still active?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bridge mode and IPv6

Welcome BMike.  Thank you for the inquiry. Bridge mode can be enabled on the SMCD3G and disabled at a later date.  However Comcast does not recommend changing the functionally of the SMCD3G from Router/Gateway to modem only.

For Comcast Business customers the IPv6 trial is set to begin shortly. Here is a Link to the latest update on the trail.  Also

for IPv6 info check the Comcast IPv6 page.  Let me know if you need additional assistance.

Thank You

merc
Visitor

>However Comcast does not recommend changing the functionally of the SMCD3G from Router/Gateway to modem only.

Can i ask why this is not recommended?

Reason i ask - I need wireless, I assumed most people who also need wireless are either replacing their SMC or switching it to bridge mode (modem only)?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome merc.  Thank you for the post.  While it is always possible to place the router/gateways in true bridge mode per customer's request, true bridge mode eliminates the the networking and routing capabilities and the device becomes a standalone modem.  Comcast does provide a short list of standalone modems,  click here for list. With the SMC in router/gateway mode it is still possible to network a wireless router and build your wireless behind the SMC.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation