Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
beowulfs
Visitor

Asa 5505 and new Netgear CG3000DCR

Comcast netgear

Case - Cr334923621

I'm waiting for a tier 2 call back regarding this case.

I've had business service with 50/10 and 5 static ip addresses for almost a year and its been great. Then my smc went out on the 8th of August. No big deal, got a new smc and I was back up and running.

It took a few days to sync my schedule with a tech and I was desperate so I used a sb6141 on dhcp as a stop gap. That worked as well.

Then 7 days ago, my "new" smc went out again. This time it was a 4 day lag before my sync up with the tech. I got a Netgear CG3000DCR this time, before reading anything about. Now I know more than I ever wanted to know about it. The first go round was about 4 hours on Friday and I couldn't even get a laptop with the statics to work.

Aother New tech and another new netgear modem early Saturday morning, which was the next day. He said they had to rebuild the routes and the tftp server config for the statics and the modem. Worked with a laptop on all 5 statics. Modem was set to bridge mode and all firewall features disabled, I was told. I assume this to be true since I cannot access the web portal via 10.1.10.1 or by its public gateway from the inside.

Hooked my asa back up and no joy. I can ping the gateway (Netgear CG3000DCR) but no further.

This asa config has the same basic config I've been using for 7 years, 6 of those on Entouch, and the last year on comcast.

I figured I'd blow that stable config away, just for grins, and rebuild it from scratch. Same issue.

Let me state two things that are fact. These two things are not questionable.

1. Hooked up to the sb6141 using dhcp, the asa works fine.
2. There are only two config changes required to switch between dhcp and static on the asa and these worked perfectly on the smc modems.

I don't want to give up and get an smc. The guys in my area are only carrying netgear modems now. There is a similar thread in the Cisco forums. It was resolved in with an smc.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2212630

"Hi

Quick update. Had Comcast replace the modem (Netgear CG3000DCR) with a SMC cable modem, which fixed the issue. I believe the Netgear proxy arp was the reason the firewall would stop passing traffic after 10-20 minutes."

End quote.

Help?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
beowulfs
Visitor

Re: Asa 5505 and new Netgear CG3000DCR

It's half working. Now the outside interface routes and nats but my statics don't.

I finally got it to work last night by putting each static on the outside interface of the asa for just long enough to switch to the next one. I thought I had it licked. Inside and outside routing and nats work correct across all statics. All the statics, except the outside interface, had quit routing this morning. I'm waiting for a reboot of the modem to see if that will fix it. I've already rebooted the asa and no joy. Next step is cycling all the statics again.

I hate being a forced beta tester. Not cool
0 Kudos
beowulfs
Visitor

We've tried everything, I called in on Friday and the guy I talked to was like, yah, we don't even need to troubleshoot. I'm going to have them get you an smc ASAP. I had an appointment for Saturday evening. The install tech called Saturday morning and wanted to know if I would like the "new" netgear modem. I said that there is no way it will work. He said he will have to reschedule to Monday because none of the guys working on Saturday had an smc. They all had netgear modems. Fingers crossed that today is the day. What a fiasco.
0 Kudos
elmergo
Visitor

Comcast is now shipping these modems out for people to replace their SMC modems. We had 4 sites get tanked today. Support has no idea what we are talking about when we explain the issue. Evidently no techs have SMC modems. It has been said that the firmware fixes this issue but our locations are still dropping every 20 minutes.

Eventually we will get to someone that is willing to help

0 Kudos
elmergo
Visitor

Just got off the phone with a Comcast tech, I was told there is no issue and I should call Netgear support. Up to 6 sites down.

0 Kudos
Trusted Forum Contributor

Hello Elmergo,

I would like to recommend you try the following:

The ASA5505 Enet Ports are directly speced at 100MPS. So, whatever Netgear 3000 LanPort 1-4 you have the ASA5505 I-Port plugged into, you need to disable that LanPort's auto-negotiate and set the speed to directly 100MPS and full duplex. ASA5505 are infamous for their EnetPorts not handling the combination auto-negotiate half/full duplex and speed well at all. Therefore, setting both interconnects up direct will prevent any Enet Controller control and data transmission interconnect issues. 

0 Kudos
elmergo
Visitor

Thank you for the response. I placed a switch in between the modem and Firewall to rule this out. I have to many modems in remote locations to travel and fix them all. I wish Comcast would at the very least come clean about the issues with the Netgear. The forums are rittled with issues just like this one and 1 thing in common, Netgear

Salpula

Has anyone figured this out? If I could put in a static ARP entry, I'm pretty sure it would resolve this issue. . . 

Seems its harder and harder to find an SMC to swap-in

0 Kudos