Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Add Wireless Router to SMC Gateway?

SOLVED
bcleve
Visitor

Add Wireless Router to SMC Gateway?

Can I add a wireless router as an access point to the SMC gateway? I want to provide wireless access for my clients. I have a Netgear WNR2000 that I connected as an access point using a tech note from Netgear, but the Netgear router does not connect to the Internet. I think there are other settings I need for the Netgear router and/or the SMC gateway. I am not using DHCP in the SMC gateway at present. Any suggestions? Thanks.

bcleve
Visitor

Re: Business Class Modem with WiFi?

Can I add a wireless router as an access point to the SMC gateway? I have a Netgear WNR2000 that I connected using a tech note from Netgear, but the Netgear router does not connect to the Internet. I think there are other settings I need for the Netgear router. I am not using DHCP in the SMC gateway at present. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Add Wireless Router to SMC Gateway?

Welcome Bcleve.  With the current configuration you will have to either assign your routeable Static IP to the Netgear with the SMC IP as the gateway or manually assign an IP from the LAN Subnet with the LAN IP as the default gateway.  There are no additional configuration settings necessary in the SMC.

Thank You

bcleve
Visitor

Thank you for the quick response, Comcast_John.

I am using the SMC gateway with LAN IP of 192.168.1.1. I have enabled DHCP for IP range 192.168.1.11-30, outside the range of my PC static IPs. The LAN IP for the Netgear router (as an access point) is 192.168.1.100, and its DHCP server is enabled for IP range 101-150. It is uplinked directly to the SMC from LAN port to LAN port. No Internet access for the Netgear router.

I am not sure of the details for your answer. Can you elaborate?

Thanks again.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi BCleve.  Please see the private message for additional info.

Thanks

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation