Skip to content
DofTNet's profile

New Contributor

• 

14 Messages

Monday, July 1st, 2013 4:00 PM

Reverse lookup delegation

I see several people asking about PTR records for reverse lookups but I don't see a lot of people asking for reverse lookup delegation.  Phone support was less than helpful, so I'm turning here to see if anyone has had any success setting this up.

What I'm trying to do is find out if comcast can refer the reverse lookups to my DNS servers according to one of the methods outlined in RFC 2317.  That could be as basic as providing the set of in-addr.arpa addresses in the reverse zone with CNAME records rather than the usual PTR - the CNAME would point to a PTR record in one of my forward zones - or the more complex but perhaps more correct in that the reverse query never leaves the in-addr.arpa tree would be to include in the appropriate in-addr.arpa zone a definition of a sub-zone with NS records.

Either way would be fine as I can set up whatever zones I need to make sure this all ends up working correctly.

Any help is appreciated!

New Contributor

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

In talking to the mods, it seems that the support team is able to delegate the /29 netblock to my servers.  Obviously it's going to take a a few days to propagate the DNS, but I'll see soon enough if everything is working and post my results.

New Contributor

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

So far, the reverse lookup delegation does not appear to be active yet for my /29 netblock.  Close proximity to Independenca Day may part of the issue but I'll keep checking back.

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

Hello DofTNet,

Thank you for your patience with this request.

As soon as our support informs of any update, we respond to the post thread.

Thank You

New Contributor

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Alrighty, I'll keep an eye out here.

Thanks

New Contributor

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

I just noticed the delegation is active.  I need to set up the zone on my end, of course, which I am in the process of doing, but so far everything looks good!

As a side note, it looks like it is the more complicated RFC2317 style delegation that refers reverse lookups of my IP addresses to a in-addr.arpa zone on my end rather than CNAMEs pointing to PTR records in a forward lookup zone.

In any case, this is what I was after so once I get my zone set up, I'll verify everything is working and we'll mark this as done!

Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: The zone is set up on my end, and the internet is seeing the current correct reverse lookups so all is well.

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

Hello DofTNet,

It was great working with you on this request.

Please feel free to post your thoughts and experience on this community.