Domain Names/Static IP
Managing, controlling, and support for Custom Domain Names

PTR records messed up

SOLVED
xkhanx
Occasional Visitor

PTR records messed up

I called in to request a new CNAME record be added to my domain 4 times so far so now I am trying here.

First two times it showed up as resolved to the IP address but no CNAME record to tell it where to point. 3rd time they pointed it to a domain I don't even own. But it didn't resolve either so no big deal.

I sent a PM to Comcast_John with my request, hopefully he knows someone over there that can get this accomplished.

Many thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: PTR records messed up

Welcome xkhanx.  Thank you for the PM detailing your DNS requirements.  I have forwarded the information to the server admin for input. Please allow 24hrs for the CNAME records to fully propagate.

Thank You

View solution in context
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome xkhanx.  Thank you for the PM detailing your DNS requirements.  I have forwarded the information to the server admin for input. Please allow 24hrs for the CNAME records to fully propagate.

Thank You

xkhanx
Occasional Visitor

Thanks John,

Checking this morning I see that the bogus domain names have been replaced with the proper m. and mob. subs and a lookup of the IP address shows the PTR's belonging to the correct IP address but as soon as you do a tracert, ping or MXtoolbox  lookup it says "

Lookup failed after 1 name servers timed out or responded non-authoritatively

So for some reason, these CNAME records are not resolving to any name servers.  I am baffled.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Xkhanx. I checked MXtoolbox.com after the 24hr timer for the CNAME records. Please let me know if you are still unable to view the records. 

Thank You

xkhanx
Occasional Visitor

Works fine now, thanks for all your help!