Domain Names/Static IP

Dynamic IP address associated with block registered in another state

Highlighted
headius

Dynamic IP address associated with block registered in another state

I just switched from residential to business for my home connection, and now weather, news, and many other sites think I'm in Georgia. It appears the IP address I've been dynamically assigned is associated with Evans, Georgia (info from ip2location.com):

IP Address:68.XX.XX.XX
City:Evans
State/Region:Georgia
Country Code:US
Postal Code:30809
ISP:Comcast Cable Communications Inc.

This is going to be a serious annoyance if I'm constantly correcting Google and Twitter and all these other location-aware services to actually think I'm in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where my business is located.

Can I request that I get assigned dynamic addresses from a block registered local to Minneapolis?
Tags (3)
Trusted Forum Contributor

Re: Dynamic IP address associated with block registered in another state

So i believe that location data is managed by 3rd parties, not by Comcast. MaxMind is one, though there may be others. You can submit a correction for your address here:

https://www.maxmind.com/en/correction

If i'm wrong, and Comcast is affiliated with this data, someone please correct me.

headius

That may be, but I thought blocks of IPs were purchased by organizations, who then manage the location information for those IPs. I can certainly submit a request for correction, but as I do not own the IP it seems like I'm the wrong person to do it.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi headius.  Comcast does not supply IP geo location data to 3rd party database. However all IP space allocated to Comcast,as well as other ISP's, is contained on the ARIN root database.  However I have engaged our IP Engineering team to investigate this issue.  I will update you with their results.

Thank You

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation