Hi All ...
I am doing for volunteer work at a local church. We are replacing their exsiting network with new gear and setting up pfsense as their router/firewall. They have a technicolor (I believe) is the model name of their modem/router from comcast
1. they do not have static ip(s)
2. i would like to put the modem in bridge mode to avoid double NATing
3. once I put into bridge mode ... is there some DHCP server running somewhere that will assign a public IP to the pfsense box?
4. I don't want to change to bridge mode and break their internet
5. looking for any help, tips or advice
I just realized this question should probably be under the Equipment category, but I can't figure out how to delete and/or move it. If someone can move it that would be great. If not please excuse my inattention to detail for not placing it under the correct category.
the public IP will come from the Comcast side, i.e. their network, not the modem, if you change the modem to "bridge" mode.
I've changed my gateway to "basic bridge mode" as this turns off as much functionality as possible. My router then received a 71.x.y.z address on the WAN side via DHCP.
Good luck! :-)
Hello, how are you? I hope overall your day has been a good one! I apologize for the delayed support, but I will be happy to help. Do they have a Comcast business modem or all owned equipment? This will be a big factor in how we would provide support. Are you able to send a private message with the service address, the account number, and the phone number associated with the account so I can help in greater detail?