Billing & Customer Service
Highlighted
New Contributor

Why no ticketing system?

I find it very surprising that there's apparently no customer-facing ticketing system for business class customers. Whenever I have an issue, I'm advised to call on the phone. But calling on the phone doesn't provide me with a convenient record so I can check back on issues and track responses. It's also very inconvenient to have to recite IP addresses, hostnames, and other technical information over the phone, whereas in a ticketing system you can just copy and paste.

The only alternative seems to be this forum, and sending private messages to various individuals. That hardly seems like an appropriate support request tracking mechanism.

What am I missing, here? Why isn't there a better system?

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why no ticketing system?

Hello rcsheets,

Thank you for your query to our forum.  As you mentioned, to serve our value customers, we have added Comcast Help & Support Forums. It is a venue for customers to share and receive information from the community. In addition to this shared resource we have added numerous articles in our Help & Support library to help customers find fast access to answers without calling in (business.comcast.com/help).

We appreciate your comments, but please understand this is a community forum for sharing of information and not meant as an online ticketing system site.   In addition, we have some enhancements to our customer portal to make it easier to complete tasks online.  These will launch this year, and we’ll post them to this forum as they launch.

Thank you once again for your query and please feel free to post any technical questions or concerns on our forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Jon:

I understand that this forum is not a ticketing system. It is, however, a forum, so I am using it to raise my concern about the lack of a ticketing system.

It's encouraging to hear that there are planned enhancements to the customer portal, but that sounds like a set of tools for completing specific self-service tasks. There is still a function that's sorely missing: a way to track problems and requests.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but currently if I want something from Comcast, I have two options that I'm aware of.

1. Call on the phone
  2. Post a topic on the forum

The experiences of myself and others seem to indicate that calling on the phone results in a wait on hold for a considerable period of time, quite possibly being hung up on, and frequently being bounced from person to person. Only occasionally does this process result a successful resolution of the issue or request. Also, unless I record all my calls or take extremely detailed notes, I will have no record of any progress (or the lack thereof) on my issue.

If I post a topic on the forum, I'll at least not have to wait on hold or be hung up on. It hasn't happened yet, but I suppose I might get bounced from person to person, but each time that happens I won't have to again deal with waiting on hold or a hangup. I'll also have access to all the information I sent as well as all the information I sent back.

Given that, I'm not sure why I'd call on the phone. An actual ticketing system would have all the benefits of using the forum as a makeshift ticketing system, but it seems like it would work much better on your end since your forum software probably doesn't have a concept of assignments, SLAs, etc.

So it's discouraging that while you seem to tacitly admit that there is no ticketing system, you seem neither to agree nor disagree with my case for the need for such a system. Is Comcast under the impression that its customers like waiting on hold and having no record of their support interactions? I would like to be the first to dispel that misconception, and I'd encourage other customers to post here if they agree or disagree.

Highlighted

rcsheets-

We understand your concern. I would like to add on what ComcastJohn stated. This forum was setup for customers such as yourself to post and get answers from other Comcast Business customers. If we would incorporate a ticket system that would take away from the concept of Customers helping Customers and most importantly we could not manage the system giving all request are threads and post.

With that said, if you do have any issues or concerns my team is willing to work with you to resolve any matters and we could create that ticket for you that's given when you call the 800 number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor

Frankly the responses from ComCast strike me as disingenuous spin.  Whatever gave you the impression that a ticket system needed to be "incorporated" into a semi-public forum?

We're not requesting that a ticket system be PART of the forum -- we're questioning why there's no ticketing system at all!  (Nor, apparently, any way to submit issues via e-mail.)

Forcing everything through telephone support drastically increases wait, makes things difficult for the customer, is hugely error prone, provides no history.... and provides zero accountability for the tech's actions.  Is that what this is really about?  No accountability?

Every rinky dink web service and tiny ISP has online or e-mail ticketing, prominently available on the home page/ control panel.  The software do to so is free and quick to set up (.e.g., OTRS) and can be done in a little virtual machine on a spare server.  There are dozens of 3rd party web services to do it too.  There is NO EXCUSE to force all customer needs through phone support.  Doesn't phone support increase your costs too?

P.S. I only came in to the portal trying to find how to place a ticket for a DNS related change (PTR record), and was shocked to find there just is no way.  No ticketing system, no e-mail support contact, not even an online chat function.  Sad.

Update: After 1/2 hour wait, got to talk to someone who after hearing the issue said... "Please wait up while I get that ticket going."   So obviously you HAVE a ticketing system internally -- how could you not!  Please just save yourselves and your customers time by allowing us to open tickets digitally.  I then had to painstakingly spell everything from IP addresses to awkward domain names and HOPE the nice person on the line would transcribe everything properly, because the TICKET still needed to be ELEVATED to someone who could actually perform the requested action.  You are wasting your business class customers' time and doing them an ill service by forcing us to use 19th Century methods - the phone - to manage Internet service of all things.  It's ludicrous.  Stop it.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Comcast_Larry,

This is disappointing and frustrating. You wrote:

We understand your concern.

Try to imagine my frustration as I read the rest of your reply and it appears that you have absolutely no understanding of my concern.

You continue:

This forum was setup for customers such as yourself to post and get answers from other Comcast Business customers. If we would incorporate a ticket system that would take away from the concept of Customers helping Customers and most importantly we could not manage the system giving all request are threads and post.

Nowhere have I suggested that a ticketing system should be incorporated, linked, integrated, or related to the forum in any way. I am simply saying that a ticketing system should exist and as far as customers are concerned it does not exist. As has been pointed out by BB, it's clear that Comcast has an internal ticketing system.

Finally, you suggest I should call your 800 number. Did you read anything I wrote? I don't want to call on the phone. It's a huge waste of time to call on the phone.

I would ask, Comcast_Larry, that you please provide another response -- one in which you appear to at least understand what I am asking for, instead of only claiming that you understand. It was obvious from your last response that you don't understand. If I need to be more clear, I will attempt to be more clear. If you have a question about what I'm asking for, please ask your question and I will answer it. Please do not instruct me to avail myself of the phone support system, as I have already explained that it does not meet my needs.

Highlighted
Visitor

Do I need to add that for my request ALL FOUR of my requested PTR records are now COMPLETELY wrong?  They are mangled and misspelled, listing a domain name that DOES NOT EXIST, instead of the valid subdomain records I requested.

I do NOT blame the poor techs who took the information over the phone, mangled it writing it down, and failed to check with anyone (or ever confirm it back to me via e-mail as promised -- ComCast NEVER has written me back via e-mail after promising to do so).

I DO blame their bosses (including those posting here?) who force everything through such an archaic and error-prone procedure.  Gee, I wonder how they could have learned the correct spelling of the domains; maybe if I had typed it for them into some kind of, I don't know, "system" for tickets or something.

So now I have PTR records that aren't just old or wrong -- they now point to nonexistent domain names.

What a complete failure of a support system for a "business class" service.  The status quo is NOT sufficient, and you are NOT serving your customers.  CHANGE THIS.

Highlighted
Visitor

For the record, Comcast_John kindly offered to help me by PM here.  I thank him (although these kind of complaints are sure to continue with the present system).

(offer made at separate thread at http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Microsoft-Communication-Services/How-do-you-get-support-fo... )

(sound of squeaking wheel)

🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted

rcsheets-

I was just attempting to point out the limitations a ticket system would have within forum community setting such as this. We even tossed around that idea as it would somewhat better streamline issues, but how do you set properties of a Business customer issue? As for calling 800 comcast, I would never ask a customer to call after they've contacted us. Again, what I was attempting to explain is the same ticket # they create would be the same one we can also generate if you were to contact us first.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With that said, if you do have any issues or concerns my team is willing to work with you to resolve any matters and we could create that ticket for you that's given when you call the 800 number.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I hope this clarifies my first statement if not please let me know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Not to beat a dead horse or troll overmuch but forums are not support ticketing systems, there is no tracking number to escalate to management, there is no obvious way to escalate issues, and there is only whatever sense of trust you might put in the system and there is no privacy of information flow.  

Having worked in NOCs and ops for over 15 years now I can see the potential benefit for a support organization to expose user support or information requests to a 'community' of users in order to reduce the amount of redundant communications concerning simple, wide spread issues but that doesn't remove the need for a support issue ticketing system that provides continuity of support, a historical record and an escalation tool for trouble resolution.   

Given that I am paying over 100$/mo for a 'business class' service I would, in general, expect a business class of support, which includes being able to contact support people in an easy and reliable manner.   Given that this is my first time attempting this (I just posted a message about intermittent service degredation) I'll reserve judgement about wether or not the forum tool provides these things for now but its really hard to conceptualize it working as well as an actual ticketing system.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Paulie-

We appreciate your input and value the stated opinion. I hope you continue to post and utilize the Business Forums as a Many 2 Many sharing tool so other customers such as yourself can share some ideas and post their issues/concerns that may be affecting the business.

I will also have a tech look into your other post so please watch out for a reply in that thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Contributor

Let me throw my $0.02 into this.

I have done circuit work for the last 20 years.  I've also sold connectivity at an ISP for 13 years.  While I also don't like the fact that there's no public facing ticket interface I actually agree with the Comcast approach because it filters the "where's the any key" requests out.

If you make tech support easy to access then the general public will suck you dry.  In reading these forums about 20% of the posts are irrelevant rubbish.  Bitching about someone else getting a cheaper faster deal than you may be human nature and may be justified but they should take it up with their Comcast sales rep. and bitch to them.  Many other problems are clearly only going to be solvable by onsite visit because based on the report you can tell that they are suffering cabling issues or other low-signal problems, so they are better tracked into the telephone support where they can get the site visit scheduled right then.

I would guess 3/4 of the cable modems that Comcast replaces have nothing wrong with them and are just flash-updated and sent right back out again to the next complaining customer.  I would guess another 15% of the problems are from people ignorant of basic network troubleshooting like checking speed/duplex settings.  How many people know, for example, that hard-coding an ethernet port to full duplex gigabit will harm your throughput on a SMC modem, the port should be set to auto - unless your working with a Cisco router with an old-style card that does not allow for auto and so you must put an intelligent managed switch in between the modem and the router?  In the olden days we used to have to look at DSU error counters on T1s.  Nowadays we have to be familiar with wacky ethernet chipset like those horrible Broadcom jobbies that went into core2 Dells and had sickening throughput when plugged into a 10/100 hub and only worked properly on gigibit?  Going to an ethernet handoff didn't make Internet connectivity handoff's plug-and-play so idiots could just plug in and go it just exchanged one set of problems for a different one - but worse now is that because "everyone tells me" that ethernet is so easy, now the non-technical people think they can be network admins.

Let me tell you this - if you don't know what ethernet flow control is and what the difference is between it on 10/100 and on gigabit, you aren't qualified to plug into an ethernet jack.  Yes, when you do it, 90% of the time it will work.  Just like when you pour the green stuff out of the yellow bottle into your radiator of your car 90% of the time it will work, too.  But that doesen't mean you know what your doing.

Lastly, I would say, at least a solid 30% of problems posted here could be solved if the person doing the problem posting actually dropped $100 an hour for 2 hours onto a network professional consultant in their local community that knew what they were doing.  Your a business.  Your time is money.  You pay a fragging JANITOR to come in and clean your toilets because your time is too valuable to do that - and yet your going to blow 4 hours over the next 3 weeks fiddle faddling around on a network problem that someone else could fix in half the time?  Really?  Do you do that with your car when it makes a funny noise, too?  Why is it Comcast's responsibility to fix your internal problem?

So, Comcast needs some kind of filter.  They have chosen to use humans to filter it out.  I see no problem there.

Where I DO see a problem though is this:

1) Comcast needs to publish a lot more detailed do-it-yourself troubleshooting guides.  Like for example - your getting packet loss on your pings.  Access the modem's interface and look at signal levels.  Comcast could post explanations of what the signal levels are supposed to be and what to look for.  How many people know for example that if they put in a cable T to run another TV set off their cable that it will degrade data signal levels?

2) Comcast needs to get more 2nd tier support people.  Several times now I've had support questions that went to tier 2 and it took forever for tier 2 to respond to them.  That to me means tier 2 is overloaded.  Get some more people in there.  You have a whole crowd of tier 1 support people some of whom are probably ready to be promoted.  Get cracking.

3) Once a ticket # is assigned Comcast needs to send out status updates.  Even if it's an automated system.  If I call into support and get a TT# assigned, dam straight I want e-mail status updates.  Currently, they can't or won't do this.

Wel, I'll close by saying I probably honked off about 1/2 of the posters on the forum here.  OK well if you see yourself in anything I'm saying - as Jesse said in Toy Story, if the Boot Fits!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor

Add an email support system

Comcast Business really needs to add an email system to bypass in the low level support phone lines. Business used to go straight to tier 2 support, now you waste hours on the phone dealing with script readers. With the last issue, I spend 15 min Wednesday until I asked for tier 2 - which was denied as "you just need to explain to me". After a further 15 min "Bill" finally admitted defeat and promised call back by tier 2. Two days later still no call or anything else. My only option now is waste another half hour on the phone. Issue cr318643200.
0 Kudos

Re: Add an email support system

jgosau-

Has anyone connected you about this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

THIS IS NOT SOLVED.

I don't know why the forum software thinks this is a "solved" issue, but it's far from solved.

The fact that you're treating this as a solved issue only serves to further underscore how completely out of touch you are.

Edit: Now that I've marked about half a dozen posts on this thread as "not the solution", it seems to have changed the status of the thread back to no longer being solved. I shouldn't have had to do that.

Highlighted

I agree with you but the system is not marking as solved. This is being done by customers who believe their issue is resolved. Also, the forums is trialing a new forum ticketing system called Private Support. Private Support is much like a PM but with better options to communicate with the customer. It will allow us to work major Business service issues while updating the customer of the progress in a private community forum style.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I too am looking for the apparently non-existent Service Request portal when I came across this post.  After reading a couple of Comcast replies and judging by those responses, I’m going to take a shot at guessing the replies are coming from off-shored support.  The people replying here representing Comcast probably have no authority, ability, or control to support or influence the concern over the lack of an online customer facing ticketing system, and probably little-to-no understanding of what is actually being discussed and requested. Discussing this problem here is a waste of your time.