Skip to content
slykens's profile

New Contributor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, February 6th, 2017 8:00 AM

Static IPv6 Routing?

Hello all -

I was in the IPv6 trial early on but did not heavily participate as the capabilities of the service didn't match up with my then existing IPv6 deployment.

I am happy to see that Comcast is now offering static IPv6 - so I logged into my cable modem (Netgear) and find that there still is no capability to set a static IPv6 route. In my case I am using a older Cisco ASA as my gateway device and it does not support DHCP-PD but it happily works with IPv6 when routes are statically configured (as my present HE tunnel is set up).

Does Comcast plan to add the ability to statically route IPv6 networks to the Netgear cable modem?

Thank you.

New problem solver

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

There is currently no way to get the /60 that a Netgear CM offers unless you send it a DHCPv6 IA_PD request (with anything at all in the request).  See Netgear CG3000DCR IPv6 bugs and quirks for details.  You'll need a new router if the one you have doesn't support DHCPv6 client on the WAN side.

A new gateway router could be any relatively new low end commercial router or check the cerowrt or openwrt pages (google them) for low end routers that can support open code.  Or you can run a linux or bsd (ie: freebsd, netbsd, openbsd) box (or VM) as a router.  pfsense is a nice solution that is essentially open source running on freebsd on either a PC type box of your choosing or low end router hardware with pfsense preinstalled (see "pfSense 2.3 - IPv6 - Comcast" thread on pfsense forum for a success story).  The cost for a low end router is likely to be about the same as a few months of Comcast service, less than one month if you go with the really low end.

Curtis

New Contributor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I've been running Cisco ASA for about seven years now and I'm not excited about replacing it just to get Comcast native IPv6.

I've also been running an HE IPv6 tunnel for probably about four years and it has met my needs well. In my configuration it's a very lightweight VM.

I have considered moving to pfsense (and have been running it in a VM at home for years so do like it) and hosting it on my Hyper-V cluster as it would provide higher availability than my present ASA configuration but I'm just not motivated enough to do it yet - would have to reconfigure tunnels, remote access VPNs, etc.

Having IPv6 static routing seems to be a no-brainer to me but I'm not running the show. 🙂