Skip to content
flybynight's profile

New problem solver

• 

74 Messages

Saturday, July 24th, 2021 3:20 PM

No more static IPv6 (now official?)

I just got a new modem last week (lightning strike), and noticed that I got a complete new IPv6 prefix. My static IPv4 addresses are still in place. Also, my account no longer lists any static IPv6 addresses. Is it now official that there are no static IPv6 addresses for business accounts? I know that support always stated static IPv6 didn't exist, while the "Static IP" page did show a static IP prefix. I don't remember switching modems causing switching IPv6 prefixes in the past.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

3 years ago

@flybynight Hello and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. This forum post may help answer your question:  https://comca.st/3zrfaTW

Please let me know if this helps. Thank you! 

New problem solver

• 

74 Messages

3 years ago

the post suggests that the prefix assigned by Comcast to my cable modem should be static. Is that correct? 

Recognized Contributor

• 

25 Messages

Hello, @flybynight!
I just want to make sure we are on the same page before we dive in! As you saw on our support page, our newer IP gateway devices (in most cases) include support for IPv6 and IPv4. What I understand is that your new Gateway caused your server to change from IPv4 to IPv6, and you would like to use IPv6, correct? Have you had the opportunity to follow the steps under the "Use your static IPs to run a server - IPv6" section on this site? https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/using-a-static-ip/#use-your-static-i-ps-to-run-a-server-i-pv-6

I no longer work for Comcast.

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

3 years ago

"I just got a new modem last week (lightning strike), and noticed that I got a complete new IPv6 prefix."

That is the default behavior on all Comcast routers.  Comcast assigns the IPv6 prefix based on some hardware bits in the modem - most likely it's MAC address - which guarantees no 2 customers will ever have the same IPv6 address and also means they don't have to bother tracking IPv6 assignments.

Your new prefix won't change if your IPv4 is statically assigned.  Unless your new modem dies of course.