Skip to content
flybynight's profile

New problem solver

• 

74 Messages

Friday, June 19th, 2015 6:00 AM

IPv6 Renumbering?

It looks like I just got a new IPv6 prefix for my business class connection. Changed from 2601:e:8001 to 2601:340:8001... still getting a /56 (which is ok.. not complaining here)... Any idea when static IPv6 assignments will be rolled out? I got 5 static IPv4 addresses, so having a static /56 would be nice to I don't have to keep reconfiguring.

(and any setup tips from any pfsense users? )

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

9 years ago

What modem model are you using.

Do you have a server setup to allow for incoming IPv6 connections and does it work?

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

9 years ago

In my experience, prefix changes are fairly rare (my mail server has had exactly 2 different prefix in over a year of operation), and changes are usually accompanied by a maintenance outage/head-end work.

New problem solver

• 

74 Messages

9 years ago

sorry for the late reply: I do have the Netgear modem, and yes, I run servers behind it that work ... If found the DHCP-PD setup the modem is doing to be a bit tricky, but got it to work. I guess just needs more scripting to alert me of any changes to the setup. For now, I am using pfsense as a firewall, which can "follow" the main assignment on different interfaces, as long as you only use RA, and not DHCP6.

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

9 years ago

The DHCPv6 standard still requires you to configure your hosts to listen to RAs in order to find out the default gateway.  So unless you have access to the DHCPv6 server and can use it to set static IPv6 addresses, or look at a host table in it  (both of which you CAN'T do on the Netgear) then it's mostly useless as a host assignment mechanism in IPv6.  It's useful to assign PD, that's about it.