Skip to content
JohnM-Abq's profile

New problem solver

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, May 6th, 2018 4:00 AM

IPv6 PTR Records - Bump

Bumping this topic, as I've tried in the past.

I want to set up reverse DNS for a number of IPv6 static IPs.  I've tried in the past, over a year a go and got a run-around.  I've recently seen other people asking for the same thing.  What I REALLY want is to delegate the whole PTR subzone for my /56 to my own name servers so I could manage it entirely.  However, I'd even be satisfied with just being able to specify a list of IPv6 address to hostname mappings like we already do for IPv4.

As has been mentioned previously, having matching forward and reverse IPv6 DNS is critical for mail servers.

I've already sent a PM to Comcast_Phil with my info, but I'd also like to know if anyone else has managed to get working IPv6 PTR assignments.

IMO, there is no excuse for Comcast not providing at least SOME mechanism to do this, as is done with IPv4.

I REALLY want to do my part in moving towards dumping IPv4 for good.  That means making EVERYTHING IPv6 to the maximum extent possible.

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply.  I got a call from Justin in support, and he was able to get my IPv6 PTR records set up.  Apparently only "small business" customers get to have full delegation to name servers, and I take that to mean dedicated fiber/ethernet and not home cable modem.  However I'm quite happy with finally having just plain PTRs set up for my current hosts and particularly my mail server.  I'm now able to run my mail servers on IPv6.

So, it turns out it IS possible to get IPv6 PTR records set up for Static IP customers.

Suggestion..  Implement PTR setup on the web portal, both for IPv4 and IPv6.  In the long run you'd save on support traffic of having to manually deal with it.

• 

163 Messages

6 years ago

I have responded to you through your private message with us. I will continue with you there. 

New problem solver

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

One more thing..

One point of confusion in my case was due to the fact that I subnet my /56 into several internal /64 networks that are not part of the hard coded default /64 (at the low end of the /56 block) on the router.

This required the support person to create additional IPv6 reverse zones for each /64 in which I needed PTR records.  This info may come in handy for others, so I'm mentioning it here.

Another point of annoyance for me is that you can't just assign static IPv6 routes on the Cisco gateway.  Now, PD works fine from my pfSense firewalls, but a problem arises if the Cisco gateway reboots.  It forgets about the PD and won't route until I bump my pfSense firewalls so the re-request the PD.  I've set the DHCP6 lease lifetime to 5 minutes in the hopes that if the gatway reboots the PDs will be reestablished automatically, but it IS annoying.  I may have to think about writing some watchdog scripts that automatically reset the firewalls if a gateway reboot is detected.