Skip to content
hiryu's profile

New problem solver

• 

24 Messages

Saturday, January 25th, 2020 9:00 PM

How static is the IPv6 prefix delegation?

I haven't been able to find anything paticularly conclusive on this.

If I request IPv6 delegation via DHCPv6 from the Comcast router, how static is this? Completely?

What about the IPv6 addresses my router receives on its internal interfaces for these prefixes? Are these completely static? For example, if interface "lan0" is set to have prefix id "0", will interface lan0 _always_ receive the same static IP?

Also,

What about delegation for reverse IPv6 DNS zones? Is requesting rDNS records through the forums the only way or is delegation possible now?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

Correction. In pfsense on your wan interface, make sure you check this option:
"dhcp6c will send a release to the ISP on exit, some ISPs then release the allocated address or prefix. This option prevents that signal ever being sent"

It's not enabled by default and appears to fix the issue for me!

Official Employee

• 

526 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us through the business forums regarding your IPV6 services. Static IPv4 prefixes can be ordered in blocks of 1, 5, and (in select areas) 13, for an additional monthly charge. Static IPv6 prefixes are allocated in a single size for all Business IP Gateway customers, the size being a /56. A /56 provides several millions of addresses. Once ordered, a custom configuration containing the static IP range is remotely configured to the Comcast IP Gateway with no additional hardware required for you to connect it to your equipment (server, firewall, etc.). For IPv6, no custom configuration is required on the Business IP Gateway since the provisioning of the IPv6 prefix is managed by Comcast. You would need to subscribe to a block of IPV4 static IP addresses to get the IPV6 static IP's. PTR records can be requested by calling into our care teams through 1-800-391-3000, or you can always reach out to us through the business forums as you are today and we also will assist you through our Facebook and Twitter pages if you would prefer that option. More information on our static IP services can be found through this link https://comca.st/2RrjpvF. If you have any further questions or concerns please don't hesitate to reach out through private message with your first and last name, full service address and account number or phone number and I would be more than happy to review the account and assist you in any way that I can. 

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

Mine were static until the modem got swapped (2 years). Not sure if that was in error or what happened

So pretty static?

New problem solver

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

This evening my prefix was arbitrarily swapped out from under my feet. Broke a lot of stuff... Guess I'll be disabling IPv6 as it's not truly static with Comcast.

Official Employee

• 

526 Messages

4 years ago

I am so very glad to hear that you were able to locate this option and that everything is working as it should for you at this time. Were there any further questions or concerns that I can address for you?