Skip to content
UNIXdude's profile

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 5th, 2019 9:00 AM

Dual Stack on customer owned modem?

I have a Comcast Business account using my own modem and a standard issue dynamic address (too cheap to pay for a static address).  My modem is a Cisco branded DPC3008 docsis 3.0 modem, connected to a NetGate PFSence firewall.

I have found very little documentation on the the proper confiuration for IPv6.  I have treid both dhcp6 and SLAAC, all have the same result, the WAN interfacce is only assigned a link-local address (fe80::*) for IPv6 and a subnetted class A IPv4 address.  I can ping6 the Comcast router, but nothing "past" that due to the limitation of the link-local address.  IPv4 works as expected.  I want to ecperiment with IPv6 and can not until I can get this issue resolved.

I have opened 2 separate cases, they even dispatched a tech to my location, but the tech was not able to do anything, which is what I expected.  I have asked to have my case escaleted to the net level support.  Either I'm not asking the right questions, or the CSR is not understanding what I am asking for.

Any suggestions?

Frustrated,

UNIXdude

Administrator

• 

261 Messages

5 years ago

Hi there, I do want to thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us in regard to your services and I am so sorry that we have not yet reached a resolution. We are the right team in order to help get this resolved for you. I do want to take a look at your account. Can you please send a private message with your name and the full address to the account? -Anisa 

Administrator

• 

261 Messages

5 years ago

I am so sorry to see that we created such a poor experience and I am glad that you were able to come to a conclusion. We do value your feedback and will make sure to pass this along to improve customer service. How are your services working for you, do you have any other issues or concerns we need to address? -Anisa 

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I was able to resolve this on my own, through this forum and other search engines.  I have found very little documentation regarding Comcast's configuration and required settings for IPv6 and all of the customer service agents (CSA) I spoke to had no useful information - and even worse, provided incorrect information.  I was supposed to be called back from a level 2 tech or manager, which never happened.  One of the CSA I spoke to, open a case and dispatched a tech to my service location.  He was very friendly, but there was nothing he could do.  He also insisted that IPv6 is ONLY available with Comcast owned modems, which is clearly not true (it's working now on my own kit).

I strongly urged Comcast to better train their CSAs regarding IPv6, especially for a business account.