Skip to content
ARISkunkworks's profile

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, October 17th, 2019 2:00 PM

DPC3941B stops giving out Ipv6 prefix deligation -- factory reset required to restore functionality

I apologize for the cross post, but just realized that there is an IPV6 forum...

Hello,

I think I have a DPC3941B cable model/gateway.  I have an IPv6 prefix assigned to our connection.  The cable model stops giving out these IP addresses after a time (short time).  If I reboot our router multiple times, the cable modems stops giving out this delegation.

Our other comcast connection is with the same cable modem/gateway in another building and it is not having any issues re-sending the prefix deligation after a router reboot.

We are using Barracuda's F series CloudGen routers.

This has been going on for over 1 1 /2 years I have been working closely with Barracuda's tech support and everyone has come up empty in terms of a solution.  Recently Barracuda had a firmware update (from 7.2 to version 😎 and I applied those to both routers thinking that perhaps somethings had been fixed and it would work correctly.

Still the office connection works great, but the other connection still didn't give out a prefix deligation to the router.

Out of shear desperation I decided to do a factor default reset of the cable modem.  When it rebooted, it handed out the prefix deligation right away.  I was thrilled and decided to get the rest of the router configured for IPv6.  After several reboots of our router, the cable modem again stopped giving out the prefix deligation. So I went right for the juggler and reset it back to factor defaults.  It started handing out our prefix deligation immediatly afterwards.

It is apparent that there is something wrong with the cable modem.  Yet support is charging me $100.00 to have a tech come out.  The guy on the phone lept rambling on about how they can't help us with our internal configurations, even though the problem is clearly the cable modems fault.

How can I get comcast to fix their equipment w/o charging me?

Thanks

Kevin

Accepted Solution

Administrator

• 

261 Messages

5 years ago

@ARISkunkworks wrote:

I apologize for the cross post, but just realized that there is an IPV6 forum...

Hello,

I think I have a DPC3941B cable model/gateway.  I have an IPv6 prefix assigned to our connection.  The cable model stops giving out these IP addresses after a time (short time).  If I reboot our router multiple times, the cable modems stops giving out this delegation.

Our other comcast connection is with the same cable modem/gateway in another building and it is not having any issues re-sending the prefix deligation after a router reboot.

We are using Barracuda's F series CloudGen routers.

This has been going on for over 1 1 /2 years I have been working closely with Barracuda's tech support and everyone has come up empty in terms of a solution.  Recently Barracuda had a firmware update (from 7.2 to version 😎 and I applied those to both routers thinking that perhaps somethings had been fixed and it would work correctly.

Still the office connection works great, but the other connection still didn't give out a prefix deligation to the router.

Out of shear desperation I decided to do a factor default reset of the cable modem.  When it rebooted, it handed out the prefix deligation right away.  I was thrilled and decided to get the rest of the router configured for IPv6.  After several reboots of our router, the cable modem again stopped giving out the prefix deligation. So I went right for the juggler and reset it back to factor defaults.  It started handing out our prefix deligation immediatly afterwards.

It is apparent that there is something wrong with the cable modem.  Yet support is charging me $100.00 to have a tech come out.  The guy on the phone lept rambling on about how they can't help us with our internal configurations, even though the problem is clearly the cable modems fault.

How can I get comcast to fix their equipment w/o charging me?

Thanks

Kevin

Glad to hear that swapping our your modem resolved the prefix delegation issues! Post again if you need anything. Thanks for your business!

Ken

Official Employee

• 

294 Messages

5 years ago

Hi, Kevin! Thank you for your patience and for reaching out for help with the cable modem issue that is not resending the prefix delegation after a router reboot. I would like to help with the technician visit concern, as I understand the importance of having the full functionality of the modem for your business. To get started, would you mind sending me a private message with your full name, address, and the last four digits of your number? -Gabriel