Skip to content
ducksauz's profile

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, July 5th, 2014 12:00 PM

Why is business tech support worse than residential?

Today, I called support to swap out my Comcast busness supplied SMC piece o' junk with a Motorola SB6121 that I had purchased so I can then put a proper firewall (Juniper SRX 210) behind it. I expected this to be a 5-10 minute call. Give the tech the new S/N and MAC, they add them to the account and push an update to the head end. Should be easy. Apparently not. The Tier-1 tech took all the information and then told me that it would be up to 3 days for a Tier 2 tech to get back to me.

Seriously?! Three day SLA and a Tier 2 escalation for something that a Residential Tier 1 tech can do in 10 minutes?

Comcast Business Class, why do you hate your customers?

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

No comment from Comcast_[John|Jon]?

Seriously, if Comcast didn't have a government sponsored monopoly, this kind of customer service would put you out of business. What is the sorry excuse for this? I was talking to someone at work today and they noted that a residential customer can swap out their cable modem for a new one via a the residential support site. Why can't I do that for my business class internet service?

Administrator

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Hi ducksauz,

Sorry for the delay, our regional support center has informed us that your new modem has now been added and activated onto your account. Please connect that modem and let us know if it is working or if you need any additional assistance.

Thank you

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight when I get home to ensure it's working as expected.

However, my question still stands. Why the heck is support for business class worse than that for residential?

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I need to work on this with tech support more this weekend, but when I tried connecting up the SB6121 the other night, it worked for half an hour and then my firewall could no longer get an IP address via DHCP. 

Administrator

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Hello ducksauz,

We do sincerely apologize for all of the difficulties that have arisen during the process of adding your equipment onto your business account. I wanted to assure you that this is typically handled during your initial call by our Comcast Business agents. We do appreciate your feedback as it points to areas where we can improve and helps to insure that we are better able to provide first contact resolution.

As far the issue with your firewall being unable to receive an ip goes there are some quick steps that you can take that might solve your issue.

At the time of initial connection of the modem could be going through firm ware updates, so if it starts to lag or have connection issues within the first few hours it is always good to give the modem a power cycle by unplugging the modem for about 30 seconds and then reconnect it.

Another step would be to clear your dhcp cache and plug your computer directly into the modem. Once directly connect see if you can get a WAN dhcp response from the modem. If you can then the issue with your firewall could be caused by some other configuration setting.

Thank you