Skip to content
U

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, April 18th, 2024 9:20 PM

Why can't I use my Comcast approved DOCSIS3.1 modem for a modest speed upgrade!

Why the heck is Comcast trying to force me to use their modem after I bought a DOCSIS3.1 device on their recommended list. I just wanted a speed upgrade. My rep told me that I needed their device to get 100mbits... DOCSIS3.1 goes to 2.5 gigs!! I have two accounts with Comcast both business accounts.  I have done a Comcast installation for my bosses house at greater speeds on a provisioned a Motorola 3.1 and it works great.  I am so fed up.  Not to mention the e-waste involved and the money I already spent on equipment. 

Official Employee

• 

29 Messages

6 months ago

Hello, @user_577492. Thank you for taking the time to post to our forums. As of this moment, only a select few 3rd-party modems have been approved for use on our next gen network. All modems and gateways must go through testing and pass with flying colors before they can be authorized for our faster upload speeds. Here is the latest list of approved and recommended devices: https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024-02-20_Full-List-of-Compatible-Devices.pdf.

Edit: As of now, Comcast Business requires a CBR or CBR2 to take advantage of the increased upload speeds. At this time, we do not know if or when 3rd-party modems will be authorized.

(edited)

• 

6 Messages

That link is broken. I bought my modem from your approved list 2 years ago. I would be happy to purchase a new one if need be.

Official Employee

• 

29 Messages

@user_577492 I apparently got a little click-happy. The link has been updated and an important note added. Comcast Business accounts cannot use a 3rd-party modem and get the increased upload speeds at this time. Hopefully, that will change in the future, but no one will be able to provide any additional insight into that possibility.

• 

6 Messages

Motorola MB7420 (Retail) Retail 16 X 4 Cable Modem

Is on your approved list.

• 

6 Messages

I am not looking for improved upload speeds. My device is on the approved list. Oh well I guess I'll just keep my money. Whats the point of having an approved list at speed of 200 mbits for business customers?

Official Employee

• 

29 Messages

@user_577492 That modem is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and is only approved for up to 374 Mbps. You can use that equipment on any plan up to 300 Mbps (we don't currently have plans between 300 and 374 Mbps).

My apologies for misunderstanding which speeds you were inquiring about. We have been fielding a lot of questions about the increased upload speeds. I am on the right page now.