Skip to content
n944la's profile

New Contributor

• 

17 Messages

Sunday, March 5th, 2017 7:00 PM

Trying to get one thing straight. True bridge mode & the Cisco DPC3941B

Okay...so the only way to utilize true bridge mode is to place a call or message someone with 'comcast' in their user name here in the forum so they can (on their end) turn my BWG into a true modem only and COMPLETELY bypass the internal router/gateway so I can use my Linux ClearOS firewall/gateway/router/server behind that (now just a modem) and then assign my 5 statics to each of my 5 PC's within my LAN (via my ClearOS box).

In my case I would just need two statics for 2 Linux boxes behind the ClearOS box...thus using a 192.168.0.x subnet for any others.

Is this correct?

Tim

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

8 years ago

Hello Tim,

If a Comcast modem is put into true bridge modem you will lose use of your static IP's. Please see the following thread with details about True bridge mode.  

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

8 years ago

In order to use a comcast static IP you must have a comcast provided modem. We do not load static IP's onto customer owned retail modems.  

New Contributor

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

Hi Jacob

Okay...so even when Comcast on their end put's it into 'true bridge mode' (with this model), that would act like a straight modem, however, I would be assigned an IP via DHCP.

Are there other 3rd party modems that Comcast supports for Business that will allow for me to keep at least one static to assign to my WAN NIC in my Linux box OR is it a 'cannot do type' scenario regardless of what Comcast suppported unit you lease and having a true static IP? I do know that compatible units you buy outright that work, are NOT supported and able to have certain options.

I noticed and went to the link below (equipment options), however, my Business Log-in info didn't work and I found out that was for a residential log-in..which doesn't appy to me.

----------------

"Comcast Business customers can select devices from the following equipment list that are capable of running in bridge mode: equipment options.  In addition, Comcast Business customers can have their existing gateway/routers set to true bridge mode by contacting Comcast Support at 1-800-391-3000"
----------------

UPDATE: I noticed the Netgear CG3000DCR is a supported unit and will allow a static IP to be used, however, it has been reported this unit is hard to find or may be on the way out as far as support.

Tnx

Tim

New Contributor

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

Ok Understood....statics behind supported modems from Comcast are a 'no go' when in 'true bridge' mode.

Tnx

Tim