Skip to content
enactsim's profile

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, July 10th, 2014 6:00 PM

Trying to connect SMCD3G-CCR to my Motorola SBG6580

I just had my business line installed today and the tech whom did the installation assured me my setup would work. Before I could test it with him here, he had already left. Not exactly sure how to go about it since there's no WAN out on the modem, and I've always had a modem/router combo prior to this. Would like some assistance on how to wire it up properly and setup the SBG6580 to router only mode. Current setup is a split coax, one to modem and one to router. Ethernet from PC to modem, and Ethernet from router to modem as well, even though there's no WAN out I plugged it into one of the 4. That was how I was explained to set things up. The router has every light illuminated like things are working, but I simply can't access any sites via wifi. I'm not sure what setting I need to change in either my modem or router, but surely someone could help me out. I paid the guy that did my install today $50 for screwing in a coax cable to a box, that's it. I think I'm due for a little bit of extra help if possible. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Alright good to know I'm not bashing my head on this thing for no reason. To the tech's defense, he didn't exactly know what router I had running, so I don't want to necessarily place the blame on him as he was a very nice fellow. Can you recommend a piece of hardware, wireless AP or router, that would be a simple solution to this issue? I've never had a modem without a "WAN Out" port so even the simple things I used to know are beginning to confuse me. Will any of those 4 ports work as an Out or was the tech I talked to on the phone incorrect? I'm not sure if it's a static IP on the account or not. I'm just a residential customer that had to get a business line to avoid the 300GB data cap. If there's a way to check let me know and I'd be glad to get you the info.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

wow, that sounds quite unprofessional. sorry to hear about this.

AS far as i know, the Motorola SBG6580 won't be able to function along with the SMCD3G unit. The SBG6580 is meant to act in the same manner as the SMC; it is a combination cable modem/router. The SMC is the "official" gateway device rented out to business class customers. I don't believe you will be able to use both devices in tandem. I'm not sure why the tech told you he could split the coax line and have both units operational; unless you're paying for a separate line/account, I don't think that would work.

In any case, the SMC is the device you will want to use. It is the same kind of combo unit as the SBG6580, minus the wireless capabilities. You will most likely need to go out and buy either a standard wireless router or a wireless access point.

To start, do you mind letting us know whether you have a static IP on your account?

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

OK. If you have a copy of your contract, it will say on it if you have a static IP, and how many (most likely 1, if you have one at all) and the price (usually ~$14/monthly). You only really need one if you're running any kind of servers or devices you want/need to remotely access, or for other specific purposes (hosting email, etc.) Most home users don't need a static, IMO

The 4 ethernet ports on the SMCD3G can all be considered "WAN" ports. If you have a static IP, what you will do is configure a separate router's own WAN with the Comcast-provided static IP information (IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS addresses; the config menu on any router will give you these options if you select "Static IP" as your internet connection type.) Then, you plug an ethernet cord from the router's WAN port into any 1 of the 4 ethernet ports on the SMCD3G (doesn't matter which port on the SMC). The SMC will pass through traffic to & from your router and Comcast.

If you DON'T have a static IP, you will either need to:

• -get comcast to put the SMC into "virtual bridge" mode, which turns it into a somewhat complicated basic cable modem, or
  • -go out and buy a retail cable modem in addition to a separate router (much more recommended, money-saving & simpler, IMHO). you can then return the SMC & drop the ~$12/month rental fee

I would personally say that if you're just a residential user (like me), just using your own cable modem and own router is the simplest & most familiar way to go about this. Although, I don't think you'll be able to use that SBG6580 with business class; check out http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net and select which level of business class speed you have; currently i believe the Motorola SB6141 is the highest-end

Lately i've been recommending ASUS branded wireless routers; in particular the RT-AC66U, or if you're looking for something cheaper the RT-N56U.

Hope that makes sense for you