Skip to content
U

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 16th, 2024 5:39 PM

Static IP and DHCP

We have a Cisco DPC3941B modem from Comcast and I needed to get a single static IP to connect to a control computer for our HVAC system so it can be monitored and controlled by an outside party.  I have a network HUB connected to port 2 of the modem and 5 computers connected to that HUB.  The control system isn't installed yet but they can't until I have the static IP ready to go.  Comcast loaded a single Static IP to the modem and when they did that I lost internet at my other 5 computers.  The modem was not in bridge mode and DHCP (LAN) was still turned on at the modem and seemingly configured correctly.  I don't have any other firewalls, routers, etc. just direct thru a HUB to the back of the modem.  Comcast will not help because they say it's past the Dmarc and I have to have my IT people fix it.  My question is will that CISCO modem still run DHCP for my other 5 computers even if I have that single static IP and if so what am I missing?

Official Employee

• 

31 Messages

7 months ago

Hello, @user_9afa38! Thank you for creating a post with your question. Assuming your NAT is set up correctly, the one static IP address should be able to connect your 5 work stations. It sounds like you may need to add another static IP address, but what you mentioned about this being past our demarc is accurate. If no one else in the community adds insight to your post, I would refer to your personal IT team.