Skip to content
astouder's profile

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, April 25th, 2016 6:00 AM

Sonicwall TZ105 Slower Bandwidth

I have a Sonicwall TZ 105 firewall at a location. The Comcast Business service for that location is Deluxe 150 (150/20). When I connect directly to the Comcast modem, I get the correct speeds. However, when I connect through the Sonicwall, I'm only getting around 50/20. Do I need to configure the firewall different then the standard configuration? The comcast modem is bridged to the sonicwall with a static IP address. This location is a Sorority House with about 100 residents. They had their service upgraded recently from Deluxe 50 to the 150 because it wasn't adequate, but the service through the firewall hasn't increased.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

8 years ago

Take a look at this page:

http://www.firewalls.com/firewall/sonicwall-firewall/sonicwall-tz/sonicwall-tz-comparision

The TZ105 is listed as having basic throughput of 200mbps, but enabling any kind of security services on the device reduces the throughput down to approximately what you're seeing. You may need to invest in a higher throughput device, or disable security/UTM-related settings. For a connection serving ~100 residents, I would recommend something more higher-powered than that; I'm a fan of Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter products. They don't do UTM, but are great solid high-throughput routers.

Also FYI, it appears the TZ105 is end-of-life, according to Dell's website.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I double checked and none of the security features are enabled, so that cannot be the cause of the issue. We are using the same firewall at other locations with the same amount of traffic but with different ISP and they are not having issues.

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

8 years ago

You do realize the TZ 105 has only 10/100 ethernet interfaces?  Kind of hard to shove 150Mbt through a 100Mbt max interface.

Trade it in:

http://www.sonicguard.com/Customer-Advantage-Program.asp