Skip to content
williambeucler's profile

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, May 10th, 2016 7:00 AM

Setting up web server

Is it possible to set up a Linux web server in my office, using only one static IP and one router? At my office, I don't have a coax jack, so the actual Comcast modem is in another room across the hall. I have only one ethernet jack in my office, so the Comcast modem is connected to the jack, feeding into my office. In my office I have a Netgear router attached. From that router I have a desktop computer, two printers, and several wifi enabled devices. I would like to attach a Linux web server for my own personal development, and for sending the link to clients to view the website in development. With this configuration, is it possible to setup the Linux server? Thanks.

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

What I did was, I set up a Linksys switch in my office, with my Linux box connected to one port, and my Netgear router to another port. I gave the Linux box one static IP and the Netgear router another static IP. It's like this:

- Comcast Modem

- Linksys Switch

- Netgear Router (Static IP)

- Printer 1

- Printer 2

- Windows Desktop

- Various WiFi Devices

- Linux Web Server (Static IP)

I should note I upgraded from one Static IP to five Static IPs. I only need two, but you can't just get two.