Skip to content
bback's profile

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, September 21st, 2016 12:00 PM

Port Forwarding

I have setup port forwarding in my modem in order to view some security cameras from outside. I was unable to browse to those cameras and I went to the canyouseeme.org website and it appeared that those ports were not open to the public. 

I called tech suport and a gentleman checked everything in my modem and told me that everything was setup correctly. He was unable to tell me that those ports were open to the public and said that they should work because everything was correctly setup. Going to canyouseeme.org, I see that the ports are still unavailable.

If I hook the cameras to the dsl modem I have, I can see the ports are open and  I can get to the cameras.

I can appreciate that the tech support folks can only do so much. If they tell me that there are no blocked ports and that my firewall is open and I can't see that the ports are open I guess I am not really convinced that everything is working as designed.

Any idea what could be going on here? 

The only thing that I can think of at this point is that I changed the defaults and my gateway is now 10.1.1.1 instead of the 10.1.10.1 that is suggested. Could this be a problem?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I got it working. 

Nothing to see here, move along.

Problem solver

• 

117 Messages

8 years ago

bback wrote,

"I got it working.
Nothing to see here, move along."

How did you do it?

Many want to know.

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

@xz4gb8 wrote:

How did you do it?

Many want to know.

Not completely sure why it works, maybe it was all along and I didn't realize it. The Comcast folks assured me that it was setup correctly, but I couldn't see that it was until I got out and tried it from outside. Outside I can't see that the ports are open, but I can see the cameras so I know that they are. 

I guess that not being able to browse to the external IP from inside made me not realize that everything was working even though it was.

Hope that helps.

Problem solver

• 

117 Messages

8 years ago

bback,

Thanks.  Been there. Done that.

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hi bback,

My exact experience and was using same testing tools. They also reset my gateway back to defaults. We then recreated the port forward and still did not work. They assured me everything we had done should work. Any other thoughts as to anything I might try? Obviously they are not able to resolve the issue. They suggested possibly sending out a tech to swap the gateway for a new one however wanted me to scrub forums before they would.

Problem solver

• 

117 Messages

8 years ago

Different makes and models of webcameras may use different ports. And, since port forwarding configuration is static, the camera local ip addresses must also be constant, either using static configuration or by Address Reservation in DHCP. Other differences may depend on the firmware level involved. You should also verify local access to the camera using the same application you will use outside your local network.

A quick check of forwarding can be done as follows:

• Enable SSH on a local machine. For example: "macOS > System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Login: Checked"
  • Set up a port forwarding rule to "IP(local machine) Port 22 over TCP". Use a random incoming high port like 32722.
  • Verify using telnet from a system outside of your network. For example,
    telnet -l "your login" -p "the port you picked"  "WAN IP of your network"

A successful connection shows that you can create a working forwarding rule.

Failure to connect implies a problem that may not be the camera.