Skip to content
njorge's profile

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, November 18th, 2014 7:00 AM

Poor performance with new modem

We're a school that uses Comcast Business cable service (75 Mbps/15 Mbps) as a secondary connection to supplement a fiber line. Because of a third-party's error, our service with Comcast was terminated and we had to re-subscribe.

We previously had a Netgear-branded unit (3000-series, I think?) and service was great.

When we re-applied for service, we were given a Comcast-branded Cisco box with built-in phone and WIFI.

The performance we have been getting from the new box has been really poor. We get the right bandwidth results on tests, but responsiveness seems very slow.

Could this be related to the new modem hardware? We have about 800 devices at any time going through our firewall - split across our fiber line, roughly half that load would be on the Comcast box.

Should we switch back to the Netgear-branded unit?

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I happened to get a followup call from Comcast regarding my install, and they will be swapping out the Cisco for a Netgear unit today. I'll post here with an update after the install.

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

10 years ago

Hello njorge,

Please do, we look forward to your update to this issue.

Thank you

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Its possibly too soon to tell because we're past peak hours, but the swap back to the Netgear unit seems to have fixed the performance issue we were having.

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

10 years ago

We agreed as well to your statement.

Please keep us in the loop and If you have any other question or can help the community, please post.

Thank you

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Today went great - no problems and performance was great. So the issue seems to have been fixed. Whether it was actually related to the modem or just a coincidence - I don't know. But we're happy.

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

10 years ago

Good to hear that njorge and thank you for the update!