Skip to content
asiemieniec's profile

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 12:00 PM

New Service Woes

New business service on Friday.  We got the print out from the install tech that listed our new public IP and other settings... they weren't working so I went to whatismyip.com and found out the real IP address we were assigned.  Ends up not being a static.

Today is now Tuesday - the modem went through some kind of power failure Monday PM so a Comcast tech comes out and replaces the modem.  (thank you very much) Now we have *another* IP address - after we just went through the DNS, MX, etc record changes for our company.

I contact Comcast service and tell them that we're supposed to be on a static and I give them the static IP.  They send the config to the modem and they restart the modem.  I was remotted into a server behind that modem and found it strange that my web connection to that server never went down as it rebooted the modem.  I open a browser session on the remote server (the one behind the modem - back in the office) and I trigger a restart of the modem.

The Internet service never came back online.  The modem still thinks it's on the newest dynamic IP , not the recently pushed static it was configured for.    I call back to the office to have an employee restart the modem one more time and still it come back up on the wrong IP.  Since I can get an HTTP page on the most recent dynamic IP I try to log in and remote manage it - just to make sure I didn't do anything stupid to it.  But remote managment is disabled.  I Google the issue and find some Comcast screen shots outlining how to enable remote management and I talk a co-worker through the steps - but the screen shot steps don't reflect the UI that is currently on the modem.  Arrgh.  I then call Comcast support, for the third or fourth time this morning, telling them what I'm trying to do (enable remote management) on the modem... the support rep was kind and thought she was being helpful but emails me docs on how to reset my modem password.  UGGGH!

Eventually I'm going to have this in true bridge mode, but for now, I'll settle for having it just work.

I have a tier 2 ticket open and I'm waiting for my call back in the next 3 business days... ?!  We're an IT company with lots of "stuff" behind this modem that needs Internet access... yesterday.  Can anyone here push this along sooner?

Problem: Modem using dynamic IP when it should be using static - will not use the correct IP.  Tier 2 ticket: CR367582634  I'd also like remote managment enabled.

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Comcast tech called... he re-pushed the config and all is well.  Thanks!  Super glad I didn't have to wait 3 business days for a return call.

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

We've been given two modems - same make/model (one died, replaced with another of the same)

Cisco DPC3939b

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

10 years ago

Hello asiemieniec,

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for taking your time to update the forum community!

We appreciate your posts.

Thank you