Skip to content
Bumpshot's profile

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

Monday, March 24th, 2014 10:00 AM

Need my Modem in True Bridge mode

Can Anyone Please put my Modem in " True bridge mode" .

Not just pass through mode.

I don't have a static IP. 

Tech support told me I have to have Static IP to put my  modem into  true bridge mode.

That does not souund right to me.

it is a Netgear CG3000DCR

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

HI Bumpshot.  The requested change has been made to the device.  Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank You

Accepted Solution

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

This is exactly what I was told about my Comcast-issued SMCD3G.  The tech on the phone said it couldn't be done without a static IP.  He said he put it in bridged mode, and at that point, all the LAN ports lost link status.  Supervisor said that in this highly specific case, the modem disables the LAN if set to bridged without a static IP.  Possible, I suppose, but this sounds absurd.  I also have Comcast residential service and have no problems with that modem in bridged mode.

Can you please help me and put my modem in true bridge mode as well?  Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi jaf1348.  On the Comcast Network Static IP address cannot be assigned to a bridged device.   Placing the device in disables all router functions of the gateway.  In  the public IP is passed directly to only one connected device, multiple connections to additional gateway LAN ports will create an IP conflict.  I will contact our Support Team to assist.  The approximate down time is 5 minutes and you will need to restart you router.  

Thank You

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry, I was talking with Comcast_John through PM And I thanked him through PM.  Forgot to come back here and post.

Comcast_John  helped and solved my problem that day.

Now, in TRUE BRIDGE mode. Not just PASS through mode. 

customer support (phone) are back wards and will only give you PASS through mode.They will tell you that is bridge mode and that is all that can be done. They aslo think you need a static IP to do True Bridge mode.

You need to ask in here  or ask for a tier 2 tech.

Just to Help understand:

Pass through mode - will turn off DHCP and Firewall . But you still are able to login to modem/Gateway(router).

True Bridge Mode - it turn off the Gateway(router). It makes it a (dumb) modem ( no settings ). you can not login to it.

that means your router is now doing all the work ((hand shaking ) settings ) to connect.

But, for service from Comcast_John was fast and solved my problem.

Accepted Solution

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I too am looking for a way to put my Netgear CG3000DCR into True Bridge Mode.  From what I read here, this should be possible as I have a dynamic IP.  However, I just got off the phone with customer support (not a pleasant experience).  I was told that the Netgear CG3000DCR could not be placed into True Bridged Mode.  Not too sure what to believe.

Corey

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

HI Corey.We can work with our Tier 2 agent to make this change.   As your network will be offline for approximately 5 min, give me a window for the agent tomake the change. 

Thank You

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

HI Corey.  The requested changes have been made to the gateway.  Please restart your router to ensure that it receives the Network facing IP address.

Thank You

Accepted Solution

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I need my modem to be put into bridged mode. I have my static ip set on my firewall already. Can you please make the change on your modem?

Accepted Solution

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi John I'd also like to have my Netgear set to True Bridge Mode. I do not have a static IP address. Please help. Thanks, Van

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi LIveMore.  Our Support Agent has made the requested change to the Netgear Gateway.  All router functions of the gateway have been disabled.  Please restart your router to ensure that it obtains the new IP address.

Thank You

Accepted Solution

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I too would deeply appreciate some help getting my Comcast-provided SMC device into bridging mode.

When my company signed-up for Comcast Business service about a month ago, we leased a /28 block of global IPv4 addresses as part of our package.  We have a SonicWALL TZ 220 using one of the global IPs in our Comcast-provided range, and that unit has functioned just fine for the past three weeks.  This afternoon, while attempting to add a newer SonicWALL NSA 3600 to our infrastructure, I could not get that unit to work with another one of the global IPs within our assigned range from Comcast.  The SMC can see the device's IP and MAC address, as indicated by the SMC's diagnostic page, but PINGs and traceroutes from an external IP address go nowhere.  I spent a frustrating 30 minutes on the phone with Comcast support and was told that the SMC could not be configured as a simple bridge.  This thread seems to indicate that what I was told was inaccurate, so if the SMC can be remotely configured to function in bridged mode, again I'd be grateful for any assistance in getting that taken care of.

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Most people don't need  "TRUE bridge"  mode.  or even Bridge mode

In your case if you are only wanting to port forward to go through Comcast modem/router unit.

You only need to login in to your comcast modem/router and turn off Firewall. that will solve your problem

If you do not know how to do it. You can call and costumer service Rep  ( normal 800 number ) and just ask them to turn it off for you.

They can login to your CC M/R and change it for you.

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

HI Will.  Please send me a private message with the RF MAC address and the account number and we can set the gateway to .  Please note that Gateways that have static IP assignments cnnot be placed in .

Thank You

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I was putting a newer apple base station into service & it turned out to be the problem. When I went back to our older base station, everything is working fine again.

Just one question, now that comcast device is in bridge mode how often will our internal device get a new public ip address? It has changed several times & i wasn't paying attention to see if it was just coinciding with all the times I had to restart the base station to apply new settings or if it was happening on its own.

Accepted Solution

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

We had to have our modem replaced yetserday due to a lightning strike. Before we were in true bridged mode and I am trying to get the device back into bridged mode before tomorrow morning. Our issues started Friday morning and we typically have people working over the weekend. Can you help me? I would appreciate it!

We use the cable Comcast ciruit connected to our firewall WAN 2 and use for load balancing mode. When in pass-thru mode, load balancing can be turned on but we lose internet access immediately. I believe we must have had it set up initially in true bridge mode as it was working well with load balancing and maintained internet access?