Skip to content
BurtF's profile

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, August 6th, 2019 9:00 AM

Modem/router for gate and security system ISSUES

We just installed 3 fixed IP addresses to support our gate security system for our HOA.  Comcast Business provided us with a residental modem that has Wireless and VoIP capabilities.  We do not need any of these features.  The modem is huge and one is stuffed into a weatherproof box next to our gate.  The modem appears to overheat and shut down every few days (Combination of no ventilation and being in Florida). Is there another hardware solution that would meet the basic need of connecting the client with a single fixed IP address and give us more room for ventilation or be less susceptable to heat.  Our security company provided us with a simple but robust router to connect to the gate mechanism so there could be options.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gold Problem solver

• 

421 Messages

5 years ago

Hi BurtF! Welcome to the forums; depending on the speed tier you are subscribed to there is usually another modem model that can be utilized. If you click on my handle (Comcast_Gina) and send over your name, the business name, the complete service address (including city, state, ZIP, suite number, etc), and the phone or account number, I can check on that and we can figure out a game plan 🙂 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks, Gina.  I have gotten to my local support team and we will be installing a NetGear router tomorrow.  Differnce is size is 46.6 cu inches vs 245 cu inches....quite a big difference.  I am surprized that they gave us the Cisco router knowing what our purpose was AND the installer worked hard to jam it into the weatherproof box, yet said that what we use......

Gold Problem solver

• 

421 Messages

5 years ago

I'm glad that you were able to get someone out there to install the Netgear! I'm sorry that wasn't what was put in before but glad there's a resolution on the horizon 🙂 If you happen to need anything after, please reach back out to us! We're always glad to help! 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Well, I certainly spoke too quickly.  When the technician arrived he said he did not not have a new Netgear modem nor have they ever had anything but the Cisco for as long as he had been working for Comcast.  So the "helpful" local support person, simply LIED to me to get me off his case......sorry BUT COMCAST continues to have one of the worst customer service department ever.  Not only that, they wasted an hour of tech time for the non-solution, but made me wait for a 3 hour window for him to come.  It would have better to just say....we don't have a solution for your modem that overheats becasue it is installed outdoors in Florida.  So for $135 per month for a static IP adddress you would have thought that they can provide a modem that is rated to function in higher temperatures.  Just sad.......

Official Employee

• 

128 Messages

5 years ago

Well, I certainly spoke too quickly.  When the technician arrived he said he did not not have a new Netgear modem nor have they ever had anything but the Cisco for as long as he had been working for Comcast.  So the "helpful" local support person, simply LIED to me to get me off his case......sorry BUT COMCAST continues to have one of the worst customer service department ever.  Not only that, they wasted an hour of tech time for the non-solution, but made me wait for a 3 hour window for him to come.  It would have better to just say....we don't have a solution for your modem that overheats becasue it is installed outdoors in Florida.  So for $135 per month for a static IP adddress you would have thought that they can provide a modem that is rated to function in higher temperatures.  Just sad.......

Hey BurtF, sorry to hear about that experience. The Cisco DPC3939B and the DPC3941B are our Business IP Wireless gateways. Is it possible to have the router outside in the weather proof box and the gateway indoors? 

Ken

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

The answer is no.  The application is at a remote entrance gate that requires RFID tag access with connectivity to the main computer system via a internet connection.  There is no inside; if there was, that's where we'd put it and indeed, have put it inside at two other locations.  I don't need wireless for this application (we've shut it off at the gate) and just one port for the ethernet LAN to the gate controller.  Just about all the newer security systems are designed this way and I would recommend that Comcast develop a plan to support this type of application.

Official Employee

• 

128 Messages

5 years ago

Ah I see. Sorry for this inconvenience. I'll forward your feedback to my leadership. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you.....

Official Employee

• 

128 Messages

5 years ago

No problem. Thanks for being a valued customer! 

Have you checked out the Comcast business app yet? It's an awesome tool to manage your account, check for service issues and troubleshoot them should they arise. Check it out: https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/voice/business-voice-mobility-app-features/

Is there anything else I can do for you?