Skip to content
Aritrons's profile

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 24th, 2020 2:00 PM

Modem - Pass-through not working anymore

We had this setup running for some time now and it stopped working few weeks back. I have been trying to troubleshoot it ever since. Here is the scenario -

We have our comcast business connection with modem set in Advanced Bridge Mode. Our firewall (Sonicwall) has a DHCP public IP.  We have setup a Remote Access VPN for users to connect to office and a VPN to our AWS environment. This has been working fine for over a year. Few weeks back our connection was upgraded to have dual connectivity with a 4G backup. I was told that existing modem was not touched, just a new one was added which was a 4G built in. We have not connected it to the firewall yet. A week after the new one was installed, our VPNs stopped working - both client and site to site VPN. I lost management access to the firewall's public IP. Internet works from inside office though. I checked, firewall still has the same Public IP address. 

On further investigation, On the firewall logs I now see my connection attempts from internet into the firewall using its public IP, the source IP is different. When i login using that IP, its the Comcast modem. It's as if the modem is NATing all the inbound traffic from internet before sending it over to the firewall. How can this be fixed? 

Modem Make: Technicolor

Modem Model: CGA4131COM

Official Employee

• 

526 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us through our business forums and I am so very sorry for the delay in our response. I would love to look further into the connection issues. Can you please reach out through private message with your first and last name, full service address and account number or phone number? 

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I sent out a Private Message with all the information requested. Please if you could take a look and let me what you think, that would be great. With all the craziness with work from home going on, lot more requests coming in and VPN stopped working couple of weeks back. 

Regards,

Hari.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Just following up, did you get this resolved? If so what was the issue? We are using a Sonicwall and setting  up SSLVPN behind CGA4131COM comcast business modem with the 4G failover. I have been having a mountain of issues getting it to work. All of the research that I have read up on this seems to be a problem with this particular device and being able to use or pass through static IP's. I've gone through Enabling bridge mode and I'm getting nowhere. Any info would be helpful. 

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Firmware bug (I think related to config), I had 2 customers with this issue. Comcast just switched out the modem to a diffrent model this morning at one client and the problem is gone. I'm have the other customer modem switched this afternoon.

My advice, save yourself the stress and have them swap the modem.

I found this thread and contribute to it, my customers and his customer are in Washington which I thought was an odd coincidence.

https://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Modems-Gateways/Bridge-Mode-inbound-ingress-traffic-issues/td-p/42298

Official Employee

• 

526 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your modem settings for passthrough. I very much appreciate your patience and greatly apologize for the delay in our response. I know how important the services are to your business and we want to do all that we can to assist. I am so sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the passthrough settings on your modem. I know how impactful any service issue can be especially when you are trying to run business so I would love to do all that I can to ensure that we get this resolved for you. Can you please reach out through private message with your first and last name, business service address and account number or phone number?