Skip to content
ChadRT's profile

New Contributor

• 

11 Messages

Thursday, June 16th, 2016 12:00 AM

Modem Administration Page Disappears after a day or two...

I have a strange problem!  So I have a Netgear CG3000 Business Gatgeway and this is actually my second one now because the first one did this same thing.

Everytime I reboot the modem I have access to the 10.1.10.1 for a day or three then poof I get the "server cannot be reached bla bla bla" page.  Then if I reboot the modem it is all good again.  I have tried to hook a laptop directly to the modem and leave it there and it can access for the same undetermined amount of time before it acts like the modem's internal administration does not exist.  A reboot of the computer, assignement of an internal static or DHCP does not matter.

I have had techs come out and replace the modem and it does the same thing.  Not like I have to access that very often but I have tried to access it just to test now and its really frustrating waiting till midnight or 1am to reboot the gateway just so I can access the admin pages.

Trusted Forum Contributor

• 

113 Messages

8 years ago

Chad are you noticing speed issues relative to this event you've explained?

New Contributor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I still have access to the page but as soon as I loose it I will check my two test machines.  One thing I am worried about is I have heard horror stories about Comcast Commercial Gateways that have SIP ALG and it blocks the PBX.  At this point I would not mind another modem but I dont want another set of headaches.

I am very frustrated with tihs situation, I do not want to cancel my service and find a new provider but I am about to left with no other choice.  Service calls to the house for replacement modem, calls from high level tech support telling me it is my network and just a host of issues with this darn modem.

• 

113 Messages

8 years ago

Check into bridging the modem/router combo you have.

Pick up a edge router lite (100 bucks or so) and you're packet per second will go up and you can disable sip/alg as well as a number of other features.

New Contributor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I have multiple static IP's

• 

113 Messages

8 years ago

That doesn't matter.

I have 13, I use an edge router pro. Haven't rebooted the modem in 8 months.

New Contributor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

@Samuel

How do you configure the modem to be behind your edge router with multiple static IP's?  What edge router are you using?  And do you have the Netgear?

New Contributor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I believe I have a modem now that does not do that same thing.  I was very pleased about this untill I received my bill and was charged $99.95 "Commercial Trouble Call" this is crap.  I have been dealing with the same issues for months and just when it seems that my problems were solved by the last tech with a new modem.  I have been charged a fee for the freaking call.  I will be finding a new service provider for my commercial internet needs.  It is bad enough that the modems I own are plenty capable of working with multiple static IP's and yet I have pay for theirs that is so crappy I have had to have several replacements.  Now I am charged for the trouble call when they cant even keep equipment around that actually functions.  I have not been this upset since the day AOL refused to cancel my service and took me 9 phone calls over 4 hours to get it cancelled.

They shoudl be crediting me for the time lost in machine and system reboots because their modem went haywire on me so many times I had to stay up late to reboot the entire system (every other night) for months.  Grrrrr.

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

8 years ago

Chad,

Samuel didn't understand that you cannot have a static IP subnet behind a modem that isn't rented from Comcast.   He is assuming you can do the thing you can do with a residential setup where the modem can connect to a dumb bridge.  Just don't pay any attention to it.

Now, as for the $99 charge, I realize your probably just venting but keep in mind that the service tech probably has no choice but to issue the charge if he swaps your modem out due to his internal policies.   That doesn't mean you cannot get rid of the charge by calling into customer service and complaining which I assume you probably have discovered by now.   Certainly most of the rest of us already know this so we aren't that impressed by the "I'm going to find another provider" stuff.

What would be most useful here is confirmation that you had 2 Netgear CG3000s that were doing this and the problem went away by ONLY replacing the second one with a 3rd CG3000.   Are you absolutely positively sure that the tech didn't also add an attenuator, or have the central office make any adjustments like that?   Are you positively sure that the settings in the new Netgear are absolutely identical to the ones in the old Netgear?  Is the new Netgear the identical model as the old?

Yes there are some bugs regarding SIP.   You would know it if your setup was affected.  Since you aren't affected you can just ignore those bugs they don't apply.

• 

113 Messages

8 years ago

What exactly are you referring to. The OP is stating it's a comcast business gateway.

Bridging a comcast business gateway on a comcast business account is the norm.

The OP is stating from their original post that the current gateway is having web page login issues.

Nothing I wrote was about a residential customer.