Skip to content
tecdata's profile

• 

2 Messages

Friday, February 20th, 2015 6:00 PM

Just another true-bridge mode request...

first of all let me say - thank the gods i found this forum!

I have called Comcast Business 5 times now. 3 times last night between the hours of 3 PM and 8 PM. Long story short, the typical Cisco 3939B BWG that they give you doesnt support bridge mode! What a wonderful little thing this "pass-thru" mode is. i dont understand what it does other than mucky up the true meaning of bridge mode.

I had a tech come out this morning and replace it with a Netgear CG3000DCR which is getting closer to what I want. Would have loved a SMC but oh well. I thought once I got back on site I could plug right into the modem and get a public IP. NOPE. And when I plug my ZyXel router WAN1 into LAN1 of the modem i just get 0.0.0.0. which doesnt make any sense.

Thats OK i'll just call comcast again. Ive spoke to them twice and one girl put it in "pass thru mode" and thought it was "really weird it wasnt working". I just got off the phone the second time and she not only was the 12th person to shove a Static IP in my face but when I asked to speak with a supervisor I was blocked. When I asked to speak with Tier 2, she said they dont acccept phone calls. Then she "accidentally reset" her ticketing system only to find out that she cant push a ticket to Tier 2 tech support because this is a "networking issue"......im still unclear on what Tier 2 support does, if not "networking" issues. I asked for true bridge mode and she said they will not do it.

I came across this forum today while on the phone with comcast. Please let me know what I need to provide in order to get my unit set in true bridge mode.

please and thank you. so very much....

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Apparently my boss just called in and threatened world war 3 and got a hold of a tier 2 tech. they said it will be completed in the next 24 hours.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

Send an IM to any of the red "Comcast_" users here with your Account number and Cable Modem MAC Address (can be found at http://10.1.10.1 ). Any one of them should be able to bridge it in no time.

Though I will ask, as I often do with people wanting bridge mode, why don't you just buy your own cable modem + own router? Saves money.

Trusted Forum Contributor

• 

113 Messages

10 years ago

Generally to avoid the provider responding with "Sorry its your modem" which at modulation is a valid point to keep the modem from the provider then route with your own equipment.