Skip to content
U

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, August 28th, 2023 11:13 PM

How to create VLANs with the Technicolor CGA4131COM router

We have a Comcast Business Internet Technicolor CGA4131COM router and need to have 2 VLANS behind it. We are using CISCO switches and the two VLANS would be on separate switches. Basically I need one VLAN to be public and not have access to the other VLAN which has our servers. Someone said I should put a better router behind the Comcast Technicolor router and place it in bridge mode - but I also read where that will disable our NATs. A little confused and calling tech support didn't really help. 

I just need to know if this is possible with the current Comcast router and if not then what is necessary to create VLANs. I do have another router I can use.

Michael

Official Employee

• 

16 Messages

1 year ago

Hey @user_ded622,

Thank you for visiting our official Comcast Business Forums support page. Please accept my most sincere apology for the experience you have encountered. We do not assist with making advance networking changes such as creating VLANs within your local network. We recommend performing some research and finding a third-party networking solution that can assist with your goals of separating networks. 

Putting the modem in bridge mode would disable NAT so you would need to find a third-party router that supports the features and benefits you are looking for the device.  

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

My current understanding is that a third party router replacing the Comcast Technicolor one can solve this issue. Is that actually the case? The person I spoke to on the support line thought so and sent a list of suggested routers, though they seemed confused by VLANs. I already have a Draytek Vigor 3910 router - will that be compatible with your network if I swap it out?

Official Employee

• 

16 Messages

1 year ago

You would need to have the Comcast Business cable modem in 'Bridge Mode' and use in conjunction with whatever device you opt to use for your network settings. Bridge mode would disable all network routing capabilities. I apologize, but as we do not support VLAN setup and processes, you will need to perform your own research or reach out to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) for any further support, setup, features, compatibility, and more.  

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I'm told bridge mode disables NATs - so that's not an option for us as we need those fixed IP's. Just trying to get clear info here, support told me I could replace the current router - rather than using bridge mode, but you're saying no? I was given this list for possible replacement:
https://business.comcast.com/support/article/internet/comcast-business-cable-modem-device-compatibility#BI500

Is there a comcast option for internet access that allows for VLANs? it is a rather basic business networking need.

Official Employee

• 

16 Messages

If you would like to purchase a supported cable modem to deliver the Internet service, the link provided shows a list of supported cable modems you can purchase to deliver the Internet service. Any additional features, support, and more are outside our demarcation and would not be supported by us. You would need to reach out to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) to see if the device supports your advance networking needs.