Skip to content
U

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, September 24th, 2024 8:45 PM

Gateway AC power input: 240V-tolerant?

Good day,

Comcast's field tech just finished replacing our gateway, and porting our primary phone line over to it. With that said, I trust the "backup" battery in the new gateway about as far as I can throw my minivan.

With this in mind: I'd like to power the gateway from our in-house battery plant, which does have a 240V inverter on it (for running stuff that can't be run directly from 48VDC).

So, my question: Is the gateway's AC power input a 'universal' type? As in tolerant of 240VAC? Most such devices have an input range of 85-260VAC.

Oh, and please... No boilerplate responses or timid queries about "why" I want to do this. It's a simple enough question, requiring nothing more than knowledge of the specifications of the gateway's internal AC power supply.

Thank you.

Official Employee

• 

27 Messages

7 hours ago

Hi there, user_fc3678! Congratulations on the new modem! That is always nice to have! We only offer the 1 type of backup battery that we recommend having in the Comcast Business modem. The user manuals for the Comcast Business modems do not show if it has a 240V inverter. You can check with the modem manufacturer on this, or we can get a visit set up to further discuss this with a technician. 

If you would like to set up a visit, please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the direct messaging icon located at the top right of this forums page.

To send a direct chat message to "Comcast Business": 
Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:
Click "Sign In" if necessary 
Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or go to https://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon 
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Comcast Business" there 
- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Comcast Business" from that list 
- A "Comcast Business" graphic replaces the "To:" line 
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window 
Press Enter to send it"

• 

11 Messages

Good day, Ray,

No need to apologize for what was, clearly, a poor design choice by whoever laid out the specs for the gateway. If I were doing it, I'd not only have given it a universal AC input range, but also added an option to run it off a central 48VDC plant!

I'll try direct chat. Thank you.

• 

11 Messages

OK -- Since direct chat was a near-complete waste of time, the question still stands: Can the gateway's AC power input accept 240VAC input, or is it limited to 120?

I find it impossible to believe no one at Comcast has an answer to such a simple question.

Failing an answer here, who is the contract manufacturer who makes the gateways for Comcast? I suspect I can find out from them, directly.

I expect a response via this forum or Email. I don't have the time or inclination to sit around all day in front of my keyboard.

Thank you.