Skip to content
kc7gr's profile

New problem solver

• 

16 Messages

Friday, January 24th, 2020 4:00 PM

"Equipment Fee" increase? Again? Seriously?!

OK -- Fair warning, right up front: This is a rant, probably a useless one for all the effect it might have, but I feel it needs to be said once again.

Unless there's been a policy change I haven't heard about, CC still insists that business users of static IP blocks cannot use their own cable modem/gateway. We're stuck paying an exorbitant per-month fee for equipment, which can't cost much more than $200, for however long we stick with the service.

So: I just noticed my monthly bill increased from around $158 to $160 and change. A quick phone call brought the excuse this was due to "maintenance of the equipment."

This is on top of the big jump from around $134 to $158 in June 2019, thanks to contract "renegotiation."

Fair warning to CC (yes, the misspelling is deliberate): Keep this kind of nonsense up, and you will lose me as a customer EVEN IF I end up taking a hit on connection speed from switching to DSL or satellite!

Want to stop me from doing so? Allow us business users to purchase our gateways outright, or use our own.

While you're at it, quit lobbying state legislators to write protectionist laws against community-owned Internet service. If you're really so worried about competition from that area, start delivering better service at better prices!

Official Employee

• 

526 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us through our business forums regarding your fee increase concerns.

• Certain fees associated with your Comcast service will increase / have increased. 
  • Every fee increase is a difficult decision which we make with careful consideration.
  • We strive to minimize expenses passed on to our customers. However, from time to time it is necessary to reflect the increasing costs of running our business so we can continue to deliver reliable and innovative products and services.
  • We believe these increases are fair and will help us continue to deliver the services that our business customers value.
  • The Equipment Fee is a charge associated with the modem / eMTA used to deliver your Internet and/or Voice services.We have not increased the modem/equipment fee in over 2 years (last increase was January 2016).
    • The decision to change our equipment fee was carefully considered and was driven by continued investments in next generation technology and equipment, like the Comcast Business Router, our all in one business grade Wi-Fi Router, data cable modem and Voice eMTA.
    • Equipment improvements allow us to deliver the fastest and most reliable gig-speed internet, WiFi networks for both your employees and guests, and provides access to millions of Xfinity WiFi hotspots. 
    • It also lets us continue to innovate our cloud-based phone services, including mobility features that keep you connected from your desk or mobile phone. 
    • As a Comcast Business Internet customer, you have the option to purchase a cable modem to use with your service in place of the Comcast-provided gateway.

Detailed listings of compatible devices for Business Internet are available https://comca.st/37wtIUU. Select the speed tier to which you are subscribed to locate compatible devices. Yes, if you use a static Ip we do require you to have a leased modem. A static IP address is manually configured. Which means we need access to the modem to load this configuration and insure that all is working correctly. 

New problem solver

• 

16 Messages

5 years ago

I'm not going to dignify most of your (boilerplate) bullet-point excuses with a counter-comment. However, there are a few specific ones I feel strongly enough to respond to.

"The decision to change our equipment fee was carefully considered and was driven by continued investments in next generation technology and equipment, like the Comcast Business Router, our all in one business grade Wi-Fi Router, data cable modem and Voice eMTA..."

Oh? Would this be the same router which exposes itself to the world, over its WiFi port, as an "Xfinity Hot Spot" or some such nonsense? The one where you're literally offering up a paying subscriber's bandwidth to whoever can log in, without that paying subscriber's consent? The "feature" which can't be easily disabled by the paying subscriber? Is that the one you mean?

Maybe you're not pulling that stunt on your business subscribers (yet), but you certainly pulled it on every residential one you could get your grubby mitts on. If that's what your idea of "Next Generation" technology is bringing to the table, you can keep it.

"It also lets us continue to innovate our cloud-based phone services, including mobility features that keep you connected from your desk or mobile phone...."

Please. Anyone with a cheap computer (it can be as simple as a Raspberry Pi system) and a little basic study can have their own IP PBX and phone service up and running inside a couple of hours, at the most. Here's a link or two for more info.

http://www.asterisk.org

http://voip.ms

I might add: voip-dot-ms is one of the least expensive and best bang-for-the-buck IP phone service firms around. I've been a happy customer of theirs for nearly 10 years now.

And, finally...

"Yes, if you use a static Ip we do require you to have a leased modem. A static IP address is manually configured. Which means we need access to the modem to load this configuration and insure that all is working correctly..."

Thank you, I'm aware of how static IP blocks are configured. You don't self-host your own Internet presence without learning such things along the way.

So -- You need access to the modem. Fair enough... Would it be so hard to include a clause, in your Terms of Service, which stipulates the modem owner has to allow Comcast techs access to the unit on request?

Or are those of us who prefer to own our equipment outright AND still pay you for a static IP block just too much of a threat to your company's 'Golden Parachute' fund for the excutives?

Michelle, I recognize you're just trying to do your job. I certainly don't hold you personally responsible for your employer's many faults and failings.

With that said -- I'm afraid the arguments you've put forth have zero credibility with me at this time. This is especially true when companies like this exist...

https://www.minetfiber.com/shop#internet_services

...who, despite their limited service area (an area I plan to move into when I retire in a couple of years), can offer near-symmetrical gigabit Internet service, over fiber-to-the-premise, for around $130/month.

Gee... I wonder what kind of presence Comcast has in that area?

Thanks for trying.

Official Employee

• 

526 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out with your feedback. I would love to address these concerns. First, the Xfinity hotspot, is and has no impact to your business or residential bandwidth and is hosted on an entirely different network than your private hotspot. As well this is a free service offered to Comcast internet subscribers, any non service carrying customer would need to pay for a guest pass to utilize the hotspot services. The hotspot is easily disabled through our business app, website or Xfinity app and website by logging into your account and managing your internet services and features. As far as the static IP is concerned, We do maintain and ensure that the static Ip is functioning correctly from this side of things and the modem access and programming for the static Ip is done remotely not by a technician physically. This would require consistent access to a modem, which is why a leased modem is required. The equipment lease fee is shared by the phone modem and internet modem when you have both services with us. As a business customer, you will get a device for each subscribed service but only pay 1 fee for the equipment required for these services. We are consistently working to ensure that we have the latest technology available for our customers and that you are getting the best possible equipment from us when you choose to lease the equipment. As far as phone service options are concerned there are 5 different voice services that we offer for our business customers to meet their business needs and this helps us keep the technology available to meet any of your business needs for these services. I truly understand your frustrations and concerns over the billing increase. We really do keep our customers and their needs in mind before increasing any costs to our customers. It has been some time since the last equipment fee increase. If you would like an account review for a lower cost for services. This is an option that we always have available to our business customers. Simply reach out through our toll free number 1-800-391-3000 and request to speak with our retention team and they would be happy to see what options we have to lower your monthly service costs and potentially increase the speed levels. If you do need anything further please don't hesitate to reach out to us here at anytime, we would love to assist. 

New problem solver

• 

16 Messages

5 years ago

So -- All you managed to do in reply is repeat the same lame talking points as before. The only difference is you did them as one, incredibly long, run-on sentence.

I'm not surprised. Let me clarify one thing for you, though, regarding the Xfinity hot-spot thing.

Put simply: Bandwidth is bandwidth. Period. If you're taking ANY portion of it from a given subscriber's line to give to whoever wants to log in to one of those hot spots, it's still that much less the subscriber will have available for the usage they're PAYING FOR.

It doesn't matter if it's on "a different network," or however you put it. It's still "a network" consuming bandwidth on a given connection branch, and it still takes a bit away from a paying subscriber, even if they may not notice it.

I will, however, do as you suggest in one regard: Have a chat with the "retention" department. Really, I don't see I have much to lose, but I'm not holding my breath.

Let me make myself absolutely clear, though: Comcast is NOT, and never has been, my provider-of-choice, for many reasons beyond a few dollars in equipment fees. The ONLY reason I'm still hooked up to your network is, quite simply, I don't have any other viable choice for my requirements.

If my city or county decided to do a municipal fiber network, I'd drop you people faster than an overheated potato, even if it meant taking a speed cut.

And -- When I retire, and move out of this area, I will no longer be a Comcast customer. EVER. Period.

Put THAT in your run-on sentence and smoke it!

Official Employee

• 

294 Messages

5 years ago

We truly appreciate your time. I agree with you on your bandwidth point. The great thing is the hotspot can be easily disabled through our business app, website, by logging into your account and managing your internet services. We will surely miss your business when you retire and move. I am someone that likes to try out all my options as well. I am sorry to learn that we are not your provider of choice. I am also glad to hear that you will have a chat with our Retention team. Our Retention team is great and is dedicated to providing solutions in providing all of the options available for your services to help with lowering your bill! Your business is valuable to us! If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out. We are always here for you!