Skip to content
rl's profile

New problem solver

• 

5 Messages

Friday, January 15th, 2016 11:00 PM

DPC3941B bridge mode option - true bridge mode?

I'm little confused between pass-through bridge mode vs true bridge. Believe me I read through all posts related to it but it is still not clear to me.

When I enabled "bridge mode" in DPC3941B, it said it would capabilities like routing etc. Is it in pass-thru mode or bridge mode currently? Our own wi-fi router now gets the public dynamic ip.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, right now if your router is getting a DHCP-provided dynamic address, then the device is in bridge mode. Putting a gateway in bridge mode makes it function essentially like a regular off-the-shelf cable modem; it will allow your connected devices to obtain DHCP global addresses. All wireless function of the gateway (if applicable) are disabled, as are all web configuration interfaces and all routing functions..

If you are leasing any static IPs from Comcast, then your gateway must be in regular non-bridge mode, to allow the static IP routing functions on the gateway to work properly.

New problem solver

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks! If there is an option to put it in to bridge mode, why do people have to request comcast tech to change the configuration? What is the pass-through/not true bridge option? Is it same as the modem having the public ip and wi-fi router(consumer) getting a private ip which ends up in doublt NAT?