Skip to content
S

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, January 26th, 2022 8:06 PM

Disable Xfinity Hotspot

I want to disable the Xfinity Hotspot on my new Comcast Business Modem.  I've been told by tech support that this cannot be done.   For security and speed purposes I do not feel I should be paying my monthly fees, modem rental and providing free wifi to the public and supporting Xfinitys cell service.   I am mostly concerned about security - they say its secure - but I'll believe it when it is turned off.     I understand the benefits to Comcast - but only see risk on my side - and I'm paying for it!!!

I would like to replace the modem with a 3rd party modem - but my research says that is not possible because I have multiple static IP addresses.   

If I cannot resolve this then I will leave Comcast after 8 years.   Plenty of other internet providers in my area who would appreciate my business.

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

3 years ago

Hi sewl123, thank you for reaching out to us here with this concern. I know our business services have different rules than residential but you should be able to disable the public hot spot if desired. Try using these steps and let me know if this helps. 

1.Go to https://comca.st/3fXF3TV.
2.Sign in to your account using your Xfinity ID and password.
https://comca.st/3g2lMR4 Turn Off or Turn On to disable or enable your public hotspot. (Note: This is turned on by default.)
4.Confirm your selection.
5.A confirmation message will appear.

• 

3 Messages

@Comcast_Amir​ The link in #1 will not accept my business login - only my personal home account log in.   The link is #2 is invalid.

But I want to be sure we are talking about the same thing - I want to disable to XFINITY HOTSPOT.   I have already turned off the wifi for my account.   But the Xfinity Hotspot can not be turned off through the online account.  I was told to contact support and they said business customers can not turn it off? ?    Is that even legal?  Class action?

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

Got it, thanks for clarifying, I reached out to our tech team and they have informed me the link provided is for residential homes only and Business account are not elgible for turning off the public hot spot. I apologize for misleading you with this, it appears that the information you provided is correct. 

We wouldn't want to lose you as a customer but I understand you need and unfortunately we cannot accomedate your request. You cannot disable the hot spot and due to you having multiple IP addresses we cannot allow you to use your own equipment. 

• 

3 Messages

That really should be criminal.   I do appreciate you confirming the information and I'm not shooting the messenger - but I hope Xfinity is sued for this and I may pursue it myself.  I might also try wrapping the modem in aluminum foil  :)

Official Employee

• 

30 Messages

I definitely understand your concern but I do what to clarify, there is no security risk as the hotspot signal stems from a different antenna than the one for your wifi which then pings off all the surrounding gateways in the area so there is never one source and it is never attached to anyone's specific connection. 

• 

1 Message

I have to agree this is wrong. My problem since the public hotspot appeared on my new business modem is that it now interferes with the 3 other 2.4GHz wifi networks I have and other RF based telemetry devices and is overlapping even with my 5.8 accesspoints.