Skip to content
Slydell's profile

Occasional Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, November 9th, 2014 6:00 PM

Correct router configuration for a DPC3939B in 'Bridge Mode'

Hello Everyone!

I've PM'd Comcast_John for assistance but I thought I'd post here too while waiting for his reply.

My Comcast Business was installed last week (phone + internet). As part of the work, the DPC3939B was placed in 'Bridge Mode'. I don't have a static IP assigned to me (at least thats what I think) by Comcast but my personal DLink router was setup using a Static IP Configuration. It worked until yesterday when I can't get any traffic going into the DLink router.

I can only connect to the internet via hard wire Ethernet connection to the DPC3939B device.

Question: What is the correct configuration for the DLink router - should it be Static IP or DHCP?? And what's the IP addresses (WAN IP, Gateway, DNS) should I use?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Occasional Visitor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I set the DLink router to DHCP and restarted it.

And no luck ... it shows I'm connected to the wireless connection but I can't access the internet. I beginning to wonder if some setting (firewall maybe??) got missed while configuring DPC3939B into Bridge Mode.

Is there a way to access DPC3939B if its in Bridge Mode? If so, which settings should I check for?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

HI Slydell.  Thank you for the info.  The device is operating in true bridge mode and all router functions are disabled. With the WAN interface of your router set to "obtain IP address automatically (DHCP) it should obtain the public IP address from the Cisco.  Can you access the Internet with a device connected to the D-Link via an Ethernet port on the D-Link router?

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

HI Slydell.  Those are the correct DNS settings.  Let us know the results when you connect a PC directly to the Comcast gateway.

Thank You

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

With the DPC in bridge mode, it acts as a standard cable modem you could buy from the store, so your D-Link needs to be set to DHCP.

As well, if you truly don't need a static IP, you should make sure the charge for it gets taken off of your bill (it's somwhere around ~$10/month)

Occasional Visitor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Comcast_John,

Would you be able to connect to my Cisco DPC 3939B to check and make sure it's correctly configured and operating in ?

After your confirmation, I'll reconnect my DLink router to the DPC 3939B and test for internet connectivity.

Thanks!

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Slydell.  When the Cisco DPC 3939B is in operating in all router functions are disabled.  This includes LAN DHCP which is required WiFi functionality.  If your Cisco device is in it will only function with one device connected, your router, and all other connections including any wireless access becomes a function of your router.

Thank You

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Slydell.  Please send me a private message with WAN/RF MAC Address of the Cisco Device will check the configuration.

Thank You

Occasional Visitor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I can not access the internet via Ethernet connection on the D-Link router (with the router connected to DPC3939B), Comcast_John.

If it helps, the Internet LED on D-Link shows orange (meaning the connection is good but the router
cannot connect to the Internet).

Do you think it could be the D-Link DHCP DNS settings? Primary DNS is set to 75.75.75.75 (Secondary DNS is 75.75.76.76)

Thanks.

Occasional Visitor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for verifying the DNS settings.

When connecting my PC directly to the DPC3939B via Ethernet, I can successfully access the internet.

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Slydell.  Thank you for the update.  This points to an issue with the D-Link router.  Here is a Link to a D-Link product page that may help with the set-up of your particular device.

Occasional Visitor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I re-ran the D-Link's internet setup once again, and this time I used D-Link's Internet Connection Setup Wizard (instead of the Manual Internet Connection Setup).

And it WORKED!

Thanks for all your help, Comcast_John!